Seeking feedback on MSW personal statement

Hello all! I am new to this forum and I am in the process of writing and revising my MSW personal statements. Would someone here be willing to look at mine, preferably someone who has applied to MSW or other similar programs or who has knowledge of MSW admissions?

My problem is that I'm having trouble finding people IRL who fit that last criteria. I have a few friends who are more on the traditional academia track who have applied for master's programs in humanities, and that seems like a very different admissions process/criteria - i.e., my friend who is getting an M.A. in History had to submit an academic writing sample as well as a less formal "Personal Statement", whereas for the MSW application my SOP is essentially my "Personal Statement" AND my "Writing Sample", since I'm not asked to submit an academic writing sample. So I know people who I can ask for advice about things like grammar and punctuation and other general writing tips, but I'm not sure if I could trust their judgment about what an MSW admissions committee might think. Does that make sense? I really don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence or capabilities. My impressions could also be totally off because the world of academia & graduate education is still pretty foreign to me - I know very few people IRL who have even applied to grad school. 

I would be willing to look over someone else's draft in return and give feedback. 

Thanks everyone! 

Edited by avena_fatua

Hi Avena,

I'm working on applications for my master's in special education, a somewhat related field.  I get what you are saying about feeling like your application experience is different, I definitely feel that way with sped sometimes.  I know you're looking for someone in social work but if you don't find anyone hit me up and I'll look over your statement.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello all! I am new to this forum and I am in the process of writing and revising my MSW personal statements. Would someone here be willing to look at mine, preferably someone who has applied to MSW or other similar programs or who has knowledge of MSW admissions?

My problem is that I'm having trouble finding people IRL who fit that last criteria. I have a few friends who are more on the traditional academia track who have applied for master's programs in humanities, and that seems like a very different admissions process/criteria - i.e., my friend who is getting an M.A. in History had to submit an academic writing sample as well as a less formal "Personal Statement", whereas for the MSW application my SOP is essentially my "Personal Statement" AND my "Writing Sample", since I'm not asked to submit an academic writing sample. So I know people who I can ask for advice about things like grammar and punctuation and other general writing tips, but I'm not sure if I could trust their judgment about what an MSW admissions committee might think. Does that make sense? I really don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence or capabilities. My impressions could also be totally off because the world of academia & graduate education is still pretty foreign to me - I know very few people IRL who have even applied to grad school. 

I would be willing to look over someone else's draft in return and give feedback. 

Thanks everyone! 

Hi Avena,

I am actually on the same boat. I am in the process of writing my personal statement for an MSW. What schools are you applying to? If its not too late maybe I can revise yours and I will send you mine. It would really help.

Thanks.