KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology) Spring 2014

bkkhan

From the states, new to gradcafe.

Finished applying for KAUST in saudi arabia for Spring 2014; submitted 10/18/13

deadline was today 11/01/13 for the Spring 2014 session.

anyone else apply? I read on wikipedia they have a very low acceptance rate. but very little information on this program is available.

PhD in Environmental Science and Engineering.

looking to see if more information surfaces.

I haven't yet submitted my application, same program, but 2014 fall intake. Their offer is tempting in terms of money, and they commute Globally to recruit students. A lot of people handed in their application as curious. 

The low acceptance rate is most likely cause of the "safety-school" principle. 

My GPA is crap and they want >3.5, I heard, anyway hope to meet you there.

• 2 weeks later...

11/13/2013- Administrative Interview

interviewed with 2 folks, they were well in tune with american culture.

asked me primarily the following questions:

- why KAUST?

- Did I apply to other uni in the region?

- Family background

- my background

- Hobbies (books read, movies watched)

*point I should make is after discussion with the academic director, I switched my application over to Biosciences.

not sure what the next step is, should have asked this question in hindsight. Will update when information becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

congratulations on your acceptance bkkhan

I submitted my application to kaust for fall 2014 , one day before deadline .

I live one hour from kaust ( Jeddah , Saudi Arabia )

I hared that the interview is a bit hard and so , makes me more nerves about it .

just a few questions if you don't mind

what did you think they were looking for when they interviewed you?

what do you think was the strongest factor in your application that got you trough?

do I need to study or make any research about kaust before the interview?

anything you need to ask about I will be happy to answer.

• 1 month later...

Just found out today that most of those who've had their interview in Turkey are rejected. And that the acceptance comes with in the end of March and if it doesnt than expect a rejection letterby the end of June. So there goes my hopes !!!

Omg all the above posts are making me so nervous. I applied from England for the fall 2014 session and I have not received any interview dates yet. I am so scared after reading all the above posts.

No I havnet heard anything from them. I emailed them to ask when would i get the reply. The addmission office said sometime in March. And that is what worrying me why didnt they interview me. Does that mean its a no :/

Well to be honest, I don't know. Because a few of my friends were interviewed last week where as I was Interviewed in 1st week of February.  So there's nothing to worry about. I guess they work in batches and you must be somewhere in the late batches. 

Yeah Sure :)

You must be invited on 6th - 7th April Interviews.

I can share my experience but yours can be different because there are 2 different panels of interviewers with very different approaches 

Well as this is a Personal Interview, they wont be asking you any academic questions at all.

They want to know four things about you

a) Are you tolerant to other religions and races?

B) Can you survive in a multicultural community?

c) What type of personality do you have and what are your hobbies and activities?

d) How much importance do you give to Kaust and you wont leave it if you are admitted to any other university in US or UK?

These are the answers they are looking for but they wont ask you for them directly. They will ask you several questions that will allow them to judge answers to these by themselves.

Thats it. Be Confident and Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to the CS PhD program (Fall 2014), haven't been invited to the interview yet. I contacted the admission beginning of April to ask for updates (The admission FAQ said results should appear as early as March and I haven't received any feedback from their part since I applied).

The admission officer said that applications are still under review for admission to the Fall 2014 session, and that they will contact me once they reach a final decision (not sure what final here means?)

I live in Saudi Arabia. It's far from KAUST (~2h by plane) but still it will be relatively easy to attend an interview in person (I read here that some fellows had to fly to Istanbul to be interviewed).

I am not sure of the reason of the delay. Anyone here has more information?