Should I even bother? :(

catsnphysics

I am graduating in the spring with my BS in physics and an astronomy concentration. I want to apply for fall 2014 enrollment.

I'm not so naive to think I have a popsicle's chance in hell at any of the ~top schools~, but I really, really want to go to graduate school and I'm worried it's not even worth trying.

At the end of this semester (at the time applications will be sent) I am predicting (hopefully not too optimistically) a math/physics GPA of 3.4.

I haven't gotten my PGRE results back but I'm nearly certain it's abysmal. My general GRE is a 173 v and 150 q with my analytic writing not scored yet. I know, it just gets worse and worse.

I'm a horrible test taker. I'm very nervous and high strung and I seem to instantly forget everything I've ever known.

I did an REU this summer and I want to apply to that school especially because I LOVED it and love the city. I am hoping I can get an LOR from the professor I worked under and I think I can get some positive ones from professors at my university

Part of the reason my GPA has suffered is that I had some SERIOUS personal crises twice in my undergrad career. I really don't feel comfortable mentioning them in applications and I wouldn't know how even if I were to.

Female, hispanic, would love to do research in astrophysics. Which brings up another concern--my research was in materials science.

Should I even bother? Should I just take a year off and see if I can get better GRE scores? I'm looking for honestly, not cheering up or sparing my feelings.

Honestly, your GPA is much better than mine. I'm a massive underdog in the graduate programs I'm trying to get into right now. The best advice I have to offer right now is that you never know if you're a right fit for a program until you try. And if you're not, try and try again. 

Although, I have to say this...if you've been studying math and physics, your Q score should be much higher than 150. And I have no idea how you broke the scale and scored 173 on V. Please clarify this.

Wow I was obviously very tired... it was a 167. So that number was nowhere near similar....

The thing with the q is that it was so much high school math that I guess I am just way far removed from now. I probably should've studied, but I am so overwhelmed with school and working it just kind of slipped my mind. There are lots of things that there are "tricks" to that I just do not remember anymore. I could maybe retake it before applications are due, I'm not sure. You have to wait 21 days and I'm not exactly sure when it's offered again. Do you think improving that score would do anything for me?

Because if it wouldn't be of much help I'd prefer to not spend the money. Applications themselves are pretty expensive.

Also, I emailed a professor last night I would be interested in working with and he said he'd be happy to talk to me on the phone! Obviously I have pretty good verbal skills so maybe this could bode well for me. I have a friend who got into grad school for physics and it was he who advised me to send cold emails to people whose research I like and who may be taking students.

Edited by alexarae

I'm pretty sure that the GRE is offered most days of the week; because it's computer-based I don't think you have to do it on specified test days.  At least that's the way it was when I took it, but they've changed a lot since then.

I would retake if you got a 150 Q - that's important for physics programs - and see if you can study to raise your score as well as do some exercises to try to get your test day anxiety down.  As for the rest of the stuff, don't beat yourself up.  You can't change your GPA, so don't agonize over it; focus instead on presenting yourself in the best light.  Do some affirmation exercises - write down a list of all of the things that make you awesome!

if you can get basically a perfect score on verbal theres no reason you should be getting a 150 on math...which is nothing compared to the kind of math you do as a  physics 

being female AND hispanic helps IMO..your GPA is fine especially if you went to a reputable school

study for math, retake it and apply to whatever top schools you want to go to

Edited by TexasGuy

Thanks y'all. I should be able to retake at the end of this month which I think should be good enough since it's an electronic exam.

I have crazy anxiety, you have no idea, I make myself sick! The verbal portion requires seriously no thought whatsoever for me. Maybe I should've been a writer instead. I don't think it would really present much of a challenge to raise my q score. It's all your average high school stuff that I just haven't looked at in years.

I'm generally that person who fails the exam except for the really hard question everyone got wrong. I think I'm broken, I don't know.

Thanks for the advice. I am so stressed I can't sleep, but this makes me feel a little better!

I am nearly positive it is 21 days now, but I will probably end up around the 30 day mark regardless.

esatken, thanks! I think just a couple practice exams should be all it takes to get my scores up. Who knew high school math could be so hard... I ended up running out of time because I was doing things the hard way by just trying to logic through them because I didn't remember all of the little shortcuts anymore. PDE's, I probably would've been okay.

God, I am feeling so much better about life. I have seriously no plan if I don't get into graduate school, that's pretty much been the plan since before I was in college. Having to work in a restaurant another year could make me consider digging a hole and living in it forever.

Side note--what is the best way to ask a professor for multiple letters of recommendation? I plan to apply to three or four schools, each of them wanting the letters online, so I can't just ask them to print up letters all at once and seal them for me to mail, but asking them to do it over and over feels like it could become a burden.

It's also not really feasible for me to make sure I submit all applications at the same time to try and make it easier, because I will need to spread out the financial burden. Serving means I live week to week, I could make $500 this week and $70 next week. (Don't forget to tip your server!)

Edited by alexarae

I've gone about it by asking them right up front:

So-and-so,
Would you be willing/able to write a strong letter of rec on my behalf? I'm applying to x schools this quarter in fields A and B, and the deadlines range from Dec 1 to Dec 16 (or whatever). I feel like you have seen some of my best work in this department and I would appreciate your input.

etc etc. I like to give them a little bit of a reason why I chose them in particular, but I also like to leave them a clear out, because sometimes they just plain don't have time. I don't want them feeling guilty whenever they think of me, lol.

I've asked for letters before for internships, but I didn't know how to ask for multiples from one person. Thank you!

Most professors will more-or-less assume that you are applying to more than one school - and of course, you clarify that with them.  It's not too difficult to ask - once you get your foot in the door and secure some writers you'll feel better.

Edited by repentwalpurgis

I recently asked for a letter from a prof i hadn't talked to in years - I had forgotten I had asked him for a rec years ago for a study abroad program, he actually pulled that up when i said "Gee, I don't recall a thing I wrote in your class" and he was like "Covered! Here's the letter I wrote while you were in my class - remember Bunraku?"

So it actually helps if they've written one for you before. Makes their life easier to just pull that one up.

You've gotta keep in mind that most profs (aside from adjuncts in more far flung topics) have been through all this themself and pretty much do this every year like clockwork, if not more often. You're not being rude or obnoxious by asking.

Thanks! I will be asking at least one professor who has written for me before.

As for why I want to go to grad school--research is literally all I want to do with my life! I love astrophysics and I never want to stop learning. I have been obsessed with the universe, specifically galaxies and stars, literally since I was a small child. My parents bought me this giant book of deep space photos and I was hooked. Though at the time I was going to be an astronaut-president.

Thanks! I will be asking at least one professor who has written for me before.

As for why I want to go to grad school--research is literally all I want to do with my life! I love astrophysics and I never want to stop learning. I have been obsessed with the universe, specifically galaxies and stars, literally since I was a small child. My parents bought me this giant book of deep space photos and I was hooked. Though at the time I was going to be an astronaut-president.

Well, in theory that's a good reason to want to go to school - the desire for knowledge. In reality, you need to temper it with some realism. You say research.. what are you looking for..? Answers to what? What will it provide the world?

Essentially you need to frame it the context of how it benefits the university, the subject itself, etc.. They want to produce people who contribute to the science, not just feed your intellectual curiosity.