I'm bombing my GRE every time I take it. Please help?

Just Jeff

These are my sad, sad scores.

Verbal: 151

Quantitative: 144

Analytical Writing: 5.0

I suck at this exam. I think I need to dedicate more time to studying it, but my PhD applications are due in December.

I am taking the GRE tomorrow morning, 11/4/13. My dream school's deadline is 12/18. Should I squeeze in one more attempt at the GRE at the end of November? :(

Please help. I've never been this upset or scared before.

Unfortunately, theres nothing you can do. Most people studying for months, and barely break 160. In short, the GRE is no walk in the park. You can go through Kaplans GRE flashcards, but I dont know if you'll be able to do 500 in one day. 

I hate telling people to applying the next application season, but it seems you have no other choice =P

On my magoosh practice tests, I score between V164-167 and I've been studying since August, vigorously. 

I'm curious though, how do you know your AW score?

If my GRE scores were terrible, I would not apply widely this season.  I would choose a few schools and see what comes of it, because 3-4 rejections, worst comes to worst, is better than 8-10.  What are you applying for, a quant-oriented or verbal-oriented degree, or both? See if you get lucky tomorrow.  If you do, awesome, if you don't, and you have time to prepare seriously for late November's test, by all means do it.  I would have problems doing that right now as I am buried in my research submission and SOPs.  Your score will likely not improve unless you devote some serious hours to practice.  

@Bullet Cat: Have you tried Magoosh? If not, then I strongly recommend you do. They have some good techniques and a large collection of sample questions which are as (and in some cases, even more) difficult than the real test. Might give you a much-needed boost in your scores.

All the best!

@Bullet Cat: Have you tried Magoosh? If not, then I strongly recommend you do. They have some good techniques and a large collection of sample questions which are as (and in some cases, even more) difficult than the real test. Might give you a much-needed boost in your scores.

All the best!

I have tried Magoosh, but I didn't get to finish it. My scores improved by a few points today.

You need to learn test tactics. Screw actually knowing anything. Toss out the idea that you need to "learn" anything other than how to take this test at this point.

Eliminate bad answers. Things that are obviously wrong. This should narrow you down to 2-3 choices. 33-50% chance of being right. Then you plug them in.. "Nope.. nope.. Yup!"

You just saved yourself all that time of actually figuring out the answer for yourself. The same goes for lit - if something sticks out as "not right" cross it off the list of possible answers. Tests are written that way.. if you cant find anything wrong with an answer other than "well i dont know that word.." - that's the point. It's trying to throw you. Make you doubt it because you don't know that word, so you'll take the bad answer with the word you know but also know isn't "quite right." When it's "sort of right but wonky" versus "answer with word i don't know" the answer is the one with the word you don't know.

I know this isn't going to help you, but I just want to let you know that you are not alone--I am in the same boat! I took my test yesterday too (11/4) and I only scored 1 point better (per section minus the AWA) than the last time I took it (which was in August). My scores are V - 149 and Q 155 for yesterday's test and I am afraid my scores will not suffice. I am scared too :( 

Hi,

I am sailing in the same boat too. I got 148Q and 149V in the first attempt and giving my second in 10 days.

Although I am not aware of the schools and programs you are applying to, I know that GRE scores don't mean everything. There are other factors too. Write a kick-ass SOP. I spoke wid few of the admission coordinators and they all said that - unless GRE score is exceptionally high or terribly low - they won't affect the admission decision to a great degree.

So cheer up and stay positive :)

My scores are terrible too.. I got a 143 Q and 150 V with a 4 on Writing. I don't have the time or money to take the test again... I am hoping that my 3.5 GPA, research experience, math courses (Precalculus - A-, Advanced Research Methods- A), field internship, work experience, volunteer experience and speaking to faculty will get me admitted. I even sat-in on one of the professor's classes at UC Berkeley (I'm applying for the MSW there...) What do you guys think????

Cy213, do you mind sharing your scores on the practice tests, if you've done any? I'm anticipating my scores around your range as well and curious to see if your practice scores align with the real ones.

Hi C_Chattra,

I can't remember all of my scores for my practice exams (for Kaplan, because I accidentally cleared my first two practice test scores), but here's what I have so far:

Kaplan:

V - 158/145/152

Q - 158/158/160

Power Prep II:

V - 146/145

Q - 154/155

I hope this helps!