Classics Chat.

I Have No Idea

This is just a running chat thread if anyone feels like talking beyond the application stuff. Talk about books you like, why you do what you do. What you do. Whatever you want. :)

I, for example, only recently discovered pumpkin pie and so I've spent my evening eating that and punching Tacitus.

Punching Tacitus sounds fun.

Fall's great for pumpkin pie and such, but the wavering weather never fails to get me sick. I've been ill since the weekend, and all I've wanted to do is suck some DayQuil, watch dumb tv, and sleep. But today I had to teach and hold office hours, so sleeping was out of the question, though I did imbibe some DayQuil and kick my feet up to watch some Star Trek before class.

And wouldn't you know it, a student finally shows up for my office hours to catch me in a semi-DayQuil-induced-daze, enjoying Journey to Babel. Just my luck.

Hope your week is going smoother.

• 1 month later...

Well, I recently bought a nice, hard-back edition of Pride & Prejudice and only made it into the third paragraph when my leisurely reading came to an abrubt halt. One of my four little kids needed daddy to wipe up some spilled milk. I tell you...with kids, you can't get any reading done. Impossible. Grad school is not meant for parents.

Well, I recently bought a nice, hard-back edition of Pride & Prejudice and only made it into the third paragraph when my leisurely reading came to an abrubt halt. One of my four little kids needed daddy to wipe up some spilled milk. I tell you...with kids, you can't get any reading done. Impossible. Grad school is not meant for parents.

Haha. It's not easy, but it's definitely possible! :) Just get ready to have a two-year-old who reads Pindar. YMMV. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a running chat thread if anyone feels like talking beyond the application stuff. Talk about books you like, why you do what you do. What you do. Whatever you want. :)

I, for example, only recently discovered pumpkin pie and so I've spent my evening eating that and punching Tacitus.

I have to say, in my experience, it usually feels more like Tacitus punching me! 

One of my lecturers once said that he was asked in a job interview what three texts he would wish did not survive and what three he would wish to replace them. That could be a fun game to play here. I'll start with what I wish survived, 

1. Ovid's Medea. 

2. The rest of Callimachus' Aetia. 

3. The rest of Petronius' Satyricon.  

What to do away with...

1. Frontinus. All of it. 

2. Vitruvius. 

Ok, I give up. I couldn't wish anything to go, not even if they wrote about architecture or military strategy. 

Congrats to everyone who has heard good news! All the best for the coming weeks! 

Statianus: One of my profs said he used to play that game, he would always trash Silius Italicus.

I don't know whom I would get rid of, but I would definitely like some Greek tragedy and more writing by the Pre-Socratics. More New Comedy would be awesome. Maybe some more of Tacitus.

Cool idea.

Wish we had:

1.) Ennius' Epicharmus 

2.) Aeschylus' Achilleis 

3.) Lucilius' Satires

(Ovid's Medea is high on my list, but I'm omitting it since someone else mentioned it already)

I'm going to echo you, janeiro!

Ok, I give up. I couldn't wish anything to go, not even if they wrote about architecture or military strategy. 

Congrats to everyone who has heard good news! All the best for the coming weeks! 

No guys you're playing the game wrong: A genie appears and tells you he will show (and allow you to read) an accurate text of any lost work. But if you tell anyone or any part of your future work alludes to having this knowledge you get shot or something even worse. What do you say? do you give into temptation? 

I'd maybe take a bullet to share Κυπρία. You can thank me in advance.  

But really, I'd give my eye-teeth for Cypria, Pliny's book on the Flavians, and some more salacious Suetonius. (Lives of Famous Prostitutes, maybe?)

Edited by Furcifera

• 2 weeks later...