Anyone in US know about Berkeley and MIT's climate?

liuaqiang1

I heard Berkeley is pretty hot in the summer. And additionally, Berkeley is located beside the sea( in the Bay Area?). 'cause I have acne, I am worried that with such a climate with hot and wet summer, my acne might break out. This is tooooooo freaking out!...

On the other hand, MIT is on Cambridge city, which seems always be cool( even cold). The doctor said that this may do good to the acne.

Anyone in US knows about this? I know this is quite a trifle...But I am so concerned...

I heard Berkeley is pretty hot in the summer. And additionally, Berkeley is located beside the sea( in the Bay Area?). 'cause I have acne, I am worried that with such a climate with hot and wet summer, my acne might break out. This is tooooooo freaking out!...

On the other hand, MIT is on Cambridge city, which seems always be cool( even cold). The doctor said that this may do good to the acne.

Anyone in US knows about this? I know this is quite a trifle...But I am so concerned...

The Bay Area is generally rather nice; it is warm all year round, never terribly hot, and never terribly cold. It does rain a fair amount, and is almost always foggy, but it definitely does not have a "hot" summer.

Cambridge, however, does. Massachusetts is very, very, VERY cold in the winter, on that you are right, but it is also very, very hot in the summer (like, 100 degrees hot) and it is not a dry heat either.

But I don't really know how weather affects acne.

Berkeley student here, I'd say that on weather - and how it's related to your acne problem - alone, Berkeley is much better. Bay area is :

- Dryer than Boston in general (BIG plus)

- ... and doesn't fluctuate so much in terms of temperature. True that Boston freezes in winter - I don't know if that would help in your problem - but in summer it's hot and humid, which is something you DON'T want. Berkeley does get hot in the summer - occasionally - but not only is it not always hot, but you stay dry while that happens.

But again, I think it's wrong to let weather decide where you want to go, unless you absolutely have to. Each has different strengths, and you should definitely research into those more before coming down on temperature and humidity. =)

MIT is the one with the hot and humid summers. Berkeley's summers are pleasant and dry. Berkeley in general has a milder and drier climate. So if you really want temperatures around/below freezing for your acne, MIT has more of those, but in general Berkeley has the WAY better climate!

The Bay Area is generally rather nice; it is warm all year round, never terribly hot, and never terribly cold. It does rain a fair amount, and is almost always foggy, but it definitely does not have a "hot" summer.

Cambridge, however, does. Massachusetts is very, very, VERY cold in the winter, on that you are right, but it is also very, very hot in the summer (like, 100 degrees hot) and it is not a dry heat either.

But I don't really know how weather affects acne.

Yeah...I think MIT probably will not be a comfortable place to live...

Berkeley student here, I'd say that on weather - and how it's related to your acne problem - alone, Berkeley is much better. Bay area is :

- Dryer than Boston in general (BIG plus)

- ... and doesn't fluctuate so much in terms of temperature. True that Boston freezes in winter - I don't know if that would help in your problem - but in summer it's hot and humid, which is something you DON'T want. Berkeley does get hot in the summer - occasionally - but not only is it not always hot, but you stay dry while that happens.

But again, I think it's wrong to let weather decide where you want to go, unless you absolutely have to. Each has different strengths, and you should definitely research into those more before coming down on temperature and humidity. =)

Thanks! This has been of great help and you have my sincere thanks!

Daytime temperatures fluctuate between 45 degrees and 85 degrees for the most part. Rain occurs between November and March, though California has been mired in a serious drought for at least 3 years now. It's never humid during the summer, but the winters are often chilly and rainy. Looking outside the window right now -- it's beautiful!

Where are you coming from? That might help make comparisons.

As for Cambridge/Boston/Massachusetts...

-Four very distinct seasons.

-Winter: Very cold, very windy, very wet and snowy. Layers are your friend. Boots are a near must.

-Spring: Pleasant, mild temperatures (60-70's for the high), rain is pretty frequent, not too much humidity

-Summer: Not too warm (generally not much hotter than mid-80's), a few weeks (July and August) of intense humidity, moderate-high rainfall

-Fall: Best time of the year, not too hot (generally 50-60's for high), changing foliage (the golden leaves are stellar), not much snow until late fall (early November)

Massachusetts is definitely a place you don't come for the weather. It's not unbearable, but those uncomfortable with cold might think twice about coming. Those who can't stand heat, it's a pretty decent place to be (that's me).

Where are you coming from? That might help make comparisons.

As for Cambridge/Boston/Massachusetts...

-Four very distinct seasons.

-Winter: Very cold, very windy, very wet and snowy. Layers are your friend. Boots are a near must.

-Spring: Pleasant, mild temperatures (60-70's for the high), rain is pretty frequent, not too much humidity

-Summer: Not too warm (generally not much hotter than mid-80's), a few weeks (July and August) of intense humidity, moderate-high rainfall

-Fall: Best time of the year, not too hot (generally 50-60's for high), changing foliage (the golden leaves are stellar), not much snow until late fall (early November)

Massachusetts is definitely a place you don't come for the weather. It's not unbearable, but those uncomfortable with cold might think twice about coming. Those who can't stand heat, it's a pretty decent place to be (that's me).

I think I'd better go to UCB, the climate you described are horrible...I am not a person okay with hot summer and cold winter...Thanks for the message...