Who are the best of the best universities in US in your mind

yyemperor

The beauty of the US higher education system is its size and diversity. We can generalize about best overall but it means very little. Check out rankings or talk to an expert in your discipline and you'll probably be surprised at some of the more prominent names. Specialization, my good man. Specialization.

I don't know if this is just trolling or what, but why is it in the Poli Sci forum? UPenn is not a strong program in political science, and the best publics are definitely better than some of the other privates you're listing. This should either be moved to some general talk forum or locked.

The beauty of the US higher education system is its size and diversity. We can generalize about best overall but it means very little. Check out rankings or talk to an expert in your discipline and you'll probably be surprised at some of the more prominent names. Specialization, my good man. Specialization.

So what is the best in overall in your mind then?

I don't know if this is just trolling or what, but why is it in the Poli Sci forum? UPenn is not a strong program in political science, and the best publics are definitely better than some of the other privates you're listing. This should either be moved to some general talk forum or locked.

So what's your dream school or say... dream program?

Moderators, please lock this thread. The OP is not even in Poli Sci.

Since this discussion is in The Lobby, I'm not sure why the OP's discipline is relevant.

HYPS? Should that sound familiar? Cause it really doesn't, and I don't know what it stands for.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton = HYP. I assume the S = Stanford.

No way. Strayer University. You don't find them on any rankings because they're just that damn good.

The mighty triumvirate of PDS puts the ivies to shame. The OP would be a fool not to pursue a degree from one (or all three) of those institutions.

(For the totally ignorant and acronym-phobic that standards for Phoenix-Devry-Strayer)

This might be the worst. topic. ever. Not only is it inane to try and quantify the "best" university when there is such a wide range of disciplines, but the topic has meandered into an ugly and pretentious mocking of schools like Strayer and DeVry.

+1

This might be the worst. topic. ever. Not only is it inane to try and quantify the "best" university when there is such a wide range of disciplines, but the topic has meandered into an ugly and pretentious mocking of schools like Strayer and DeVry.

It's not pretension, it's mocking for-profit degree mills which rip their students off. (admittedly I know relatively little about Strayer, but DeVry is certainly in that category and should be shut down. Mocking an school like DeVry should be encouraged.)

But yes, it is a terrible topic.

It's not pretension, it's mocking for-profit degree mills which rip their students off. (admittedly I know relatively little about Strayer, but DeVry is certainly in that category and should be shut down. Mocking an school like DeVry should be encouraged.)

But yes, it is a terrible topic.

Hey, relax

Collins College, hands down. I want to go there for game design, since the commercials clearly show that I can just sit on the couch and play games and make money if I go there. What more could you want?

I like OP's style. Saying "hey, relax" or "hey, easy" is an awesome way of dealing with people who disagree with you! :D

Yep, it's very slick and stylish for sure. :P

Honestly, though, this topic really is terrible. Even excusing the fact that the very notion of ranking the "best overall universities" at the graduate level is stupid to be frank, the answer options provided by the OP are sadly lacking and seem to be heavily skewed by 'traditional' notions of private school prestige. Where are great public schools like UCB, UCSF, UIUC?

Yep, it's very slick and stylish for sure. :P

Honestly, though, this topic really is terrible. Even excusing the fact that the very notion of ranking the "best overall universities" at the graduate level is stupid to be frank, the answer options provided by the OP are sadly lacking and seem to be heavily skewed by 'traditional' notions of private school prestige. Where are great public schools like UCB, UCSF, UIUC?

And UC Berkely is quite good

Collins College, hands down. I want to go there for game design, since the commercials clearly show that I can just sit on the couch and play games and make money if I go there. What more could you want?

JHU is very kind too, give me the fellowship, send me mega brochrues, and JHU is very smart, but being smart does not mean being good...