The very thin line between being too specific and too general

MsBOOM

I know we are all there while writing our SOP's. How does one tell if one is in this supposed balance? I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out. I sound too specific, but too general at the same time at the current moment. Alas, ironically, I feel like it's still not that balance.

Ideas?

I feel you and I welcome help from the more experienced members! I am also worried about being too specific or too vague. Sometimes I also read my draft(s) and I'm like...what the hell am I even saying? Am I saying anything at all?? Heh. 

I was told by my advisers to sort of draw an intellectual genealogy of my education (BA onward) and sort of use that to make your "fit" a divine calling by the end of the essay. Easier said than done, eh?

Furtivemode, EXACTLY. They make it seem SO simple. It's so simple when they say just do "x, y, z", but when I'm at the computer writing my SOP, this is what my face looks like: O.O

Edited by MsBOOM

It'd be easier if you provided examples of what you mean by too general and too specific.

If you were interested in Christianity, for example, just saying Christianity would be too general, stating an interest in the doctrine of transubstantiation would be too specific, but perhaps saying something like "I'm interested in developments of sacramental theology during the Reformation and their potential ethical and political implications" might be just right.

You want to demonstrate deep knowledge of the field, evidence that you've researched the strengths of the faculty members you're applying to work with, and enough flexibility to show a willingness to grow and learn. When discussing your academic background and preparation, you probably want to be specific in naming who you've studied with, particular thinkers, works, or methodologies you've found useful, etc.; I think specificity is key when discussing academic preparation. When discussing your research interests, however, you want to be a little less specific; perhaps name a thinker but not a particular work that you're interested in; maybe another methodology that'll complement the one or two you've already mastered; perhaps, instead of discussing one possible dissertation project, you present two viable possibilities.

As for the intellectual genealogy that furtivemode mentions, I did something similar. I was able to combine my academic background with some relevant work experience and channel it into two potential dissertation projects that could've been completed under different sets of faculty members. To do that, you really have to craft a tight narrative, and you have to really do your research of the faculty members you're applying to work with.

Edited by Lux Lex Pax

If you can find a faculty member at your school who would be willing to give you some feedback, I think that's the best way to go (one who has been on an adcom.)

I think furtivemode's advisers are basically right. The SOP should demonstrate a bit of how you have arrived at the question/problem you want to address, followed by the identification of that problem and proposing that given the resources of X University and Prof. A and B (or just A) you feel you are the person to address and work on this problem. You're using the problem you've identified, to show 1) why you think you are uniquely suited (or at least suited in an interesting/innovative way) to work on it and 2) why you think the department is the best place for you to do that.

I think I basically agree with Lux as well regarding specificity. Identifying a historical period and an "area of interest" within that period is probably a good sweet spot to aim for. Also remember that you're not trying to suggest potential solutions to the problem you're identifying either. If you start outlining exactly how you plan to go about providing an answer, adcoms might think you think you're ready to start the dissertation, which you should not be ready to do entering an American program.

I think this is actually all good once you get into your program because it allows for some flexibility for you mentally to really settle in well to the strengths of your program, adviser, and the university.