US student Financing Abroad Education - Help!

threedaystar

Most of the UK schools offer limited funding opportunities - so I am trying to think of ways to fund my education. Obviously, it will have to be through awards and loans.

First, I am pretty ill educated on finance issues. Is it right that you cannot use a US govt loan for education abroad? What other low interest loans are out there that can be used abroad? I currently have a GATE loan through Bank of America - but I highly doubt I can use this same program abroad, as it is a partnership with US Universities...

Also, does anyone have any good scholarships or prizes that can be used towards funding a British education? I am a US student, so obviously I cannot apply for EU funding programs [i wish...].

Thanks!

The only grants or scholarships for US students to study abroad in the UK are generally extremely competitive--Rhodes, Fullbright, etc.--and you have to apply for them very early in the whole process. The UK government runs an Overseas Student Research scheme, which you have to apply for through the school you're applying to, usually at the same time that you apply for the program. I'm not sure what the deadlines are for that, but I believe, again, you've probably missed them for this fall. You can, however, take out US government loans for study at most UK universities. This includes both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans and GradPLUS loans. You can get loans for tuition and estimated living expenses (set by the school) and the limits are the same as for grad study in the US.

Last summer (ie, before economic crisis), there were definitely US banks giving loans for study in the UK. Not sure of any of the details though. You may want to look at international student offices and contact them for information on how to fund your UK education. Also, you can look for studentships (like assistantships in the US).