Calculating a GPA from different schools

BeingThere

So, I've got a question about calculating my GPA.

I have attended four schools.  My current school does not use any previous schools' grade points in their GPA calculation.  Which is great for me because that means I'm technically graduating (fingers crossed) with a 4.0 from my current school.  However, My GPA from the other institutions is lower than that. 

I have about 85 hours of transfer credits that my current institution is counting toward my degree, but not counting toward my current GPA.  I have also taken coursework in the past which my current institution is not counting as transfer credits.

Soooo...to calculate my real, all-career GPA, do I include absolutely all coursework from other schools, even the coursework that is NOT counting toward the necessary credit hours and coursework for my degree? 

Or do I calculate the GPA only with the courses that my current institution listed as counting as transfer credits toward my degree?

My current institution has no opinion on this matter.  Anyone have a solid answer for me?

Are the schools you're applying to asking you to combine the gpa's from all of your colleges (I'm guessing that's what you mean by all-career gpa)?  If they aren't then I would report exactly what is stated on your official transcripts for each school separately.  They may not want all the schools combined or have their own method of which courses/schools they want combined.  Or heaven forbid you make a mistake in the calculation and they become further confused.  You could always contact them directly to find out how they want you to report the information.  

Speaking only of my apps (also applying to psych programs) they specified that a gpa for each school should be listed.  For a current gpa they requested the one for the school currently attending or the school last attended.  Way less work on my end =)

Oy.

Agree w. Ms D.; I seem to remember a separate line on the apps for each school (not pretty, since I failed out of two separate undergrad institutions). On my CV, I put my GPA as it appeared on my transcript from the institution from which I finally graduated (which was, incidentally, one of the ones I failed out of).

I would calculate your GPA the way your current institution is; my guess is they're approaching transfer credits as a pass/fail, which is not unheard of. 

thanks, MsD and Lisa.

Some schools are just asking for a cumulative GPA.  I guess I will have to call each school to get clarity on what they mean by that.  Where I am asked for a breakdown of my GPA at each institution, I give that.  And of course they all have my transcripts.  It's when they ask for a "cumulative" GPA that I am not sure what they want.  I thought maybe there was a standard for what "cumulative" means, but it sounds like there is not.

Edited by Bren2014

Each school's transcript should list a cumulative gpa and a gpa for each semester/quarter.  For consistency I would make sure that what you put on the apps is what is on your transcripts, never mind which classes are counted/not counted/transferred/not transferred etc.

My current school's transcript does not list a cumulative, except for their school's.  (My other transcripts do.) So I had to do the calculations for my all-career cumulative up to this point.  It's not recorded anywhere on a transcript.

I think I've figured out that "degree GPA" and "cumulative GPA" are different (the distinctions being obvious in the names.)  So I did calculate everything to get my cumulative. 

Edited by Bren2014

My current school's transcript does not list a cumulative, except for their school's.  (My other transcripts do.) So I had to do the calculations for my all-career cumulative up to this point.  It's not recorded anywhere on a transcript.

I think I've figured out that "degree GPA" and "cumulative GPA" are different (the distinctions being obvious in the names.)  So I did calculate everything to get my cumulative. 

I re-calculated mine as well.