Columbia PhD: Still Waiting!

Aeternalis

Hi there!

I am still waiting on Columbia SMS! It's certainly taking a toll on my patience especially since I'm holding out on making a final decision on accepting an offer from another grad program until I hear back, since it is my first choice. The grad school is no help and the coordinator doesn't seem to be answering any calls.

Anyone else in the same predicament? Any suggestions?

That sucks! Has your status in AppyYourself changed at all? Do they definitely have your correct postal and email addresses?

Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to wait until they deign to tell you something.

Thanks ridgey! I log into the ApplyYourself website multiple times a day just to make certain despite knowing that the website emails you in case of a status change. Likewise, I have also made certain that my contact information is correct.

I KNOW that the most I can hope for is a waitlist at this stage, perhaps the dept. chooses not to inform their waitlisted students. On the other hand if it is a rejection and my status update is simply in limbo on account of some admin tardiness somewhere down the line I am going to be LIVID!

You're right though. I guess I can't do anything but wait (and hope)!

I would suggest at this point finding the email of the program assistant for your track and emailing that person about your status. If that fails, then give them a call and ask for an answer over the phone. Let them know politely that time is running out and you would like some indication of your status so you can make a sound assessment of all of your offers. I plan to follow my own advice in a few seconds.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw some rejections up on the result board. Anyone still waiting? It's the last school I haven't heard from yet. Just want to have this behind me, whatever it is, and start making decisions.

i am in the same situation - i would like to know my status with the sms application as soon as possible in order to finally have my options laid out and make a decision. i am not sure, though, how to interpret such a late notice. i hope it is not a sign of them being irresponsible towards the doctoral students. other schools got back way back, although they probably have the same or similar number of interested applicants.

i am in the same situation - i would like to know my status with the sms application as soon as possible in order to finally have my options laid out and make a decision. i am not sure, though, how to interpret such a late notice. i hope it is not a sign of them being irresponsible towards the doctoral students. other schools got back way back, although they probably have the same or similar number of interested applicants.

What sub-field did you apply to? When I spoke with coordinator she explained to me that both sms and you sub-field need to agree on admitting you. Maybe some departments take longer than others. I applied to sociology.

What sub-field did you apply to? When I spoke with coordinator she explained to me that both sms and you sub-field need to agree on admitting you. Maybe some departments take longer than others. I applied to sociology.

i also applied to sociology - it indeed might be that the subfield is taking longer than usual. do let me know if you hear anything; i will do the same.

i also applied to sociology - it indeed might be that the subfield is taking longer than usual. do let me know if you hear anything; i will do the same.

Hi...I am also still waiting and have been wondering if the rejections that were posted awhile back are real. I emailed the program coordinator (who seems really mean, by the way!) yesterday to try to get some information and she referred me to GSAS admissions. The GSAS admissions person said that all PhD decisions *should* be disseminated by the middle of March. Kind of a vague response. My sub-field is sociology, too!

Hi...I am also still waiting and have been wondering if the rejections that were posted awhile back are real. I emailed the program coordinator (who seems really mean, by the way!) yesterday to try to get some information and she referred me to GSAS admissions. The GSAS admissions person said that all PhD decisions *should* be disseminated by the middle of March. Kind of a vague response. My sub-field is sociology, too!

Yes, rejection definitely real. I got an email from them sending me to the application website. (My subfield was Sociology)

And yes, the program coordinator is definitely mean! I called her awhile back and she had so much attitude. I mean, I get her job is stressful but come on.

Anyway, good luck to you guys who haven't heard!

Edited by bikefarm

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad news, Bikefarm. I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with different folks at Columbia, but the attitudes I've seen to-date make me wonder about program in general!