Audiology-gy-gy-gy

pqo309

Hi! FINALLY there is an audiology forum, lol. 

I'm applying for next fall, for the second time. I'll be applying to UBC (in Canada) and a few American schools. I only decided to apply to the American schools fairly last minute so it will be a rush for me. You?

I'm looking at schools towards the Midwest and East Coast... I'm currently set on Iowa, WashU, James Madison, University of Nebraska, and Louisiana Tech. I think 5 is good but I keep thinking about other places, but anywhere near a VA is good enough for me.

Cool! Most of those schools would be reaches for me, so I am looking at applying to lower/mid ranked programs. I am looking at Syracuse, San Diego State University, Salus University, NOVA Southeastern, Auburn University, A.T. Still University, Bloomsburg University, and Pacific University! I need to rewrite my GRE in mid January so I will only be applying to schools that are willing to take late scores. I really wish I had started this process sooner but now I can only work hard to get it done.

Cool. That's a lot of schools, though - be careful.

I don't really buy into the whole "reach" thing. If you research the school, know it's a good fit, and can demonstrate that in your letter, there's no reason you're not at least competitive. That's probably naïve of me ^_^

Oh, I know. I am still researching schools so I have not quite narrowed it down yet. I think I will end up applying to 4-5 schools plus UBC. I'm concerned about my options because my GPA is really quite low, 3.09, 3.2 subcumulative. I did get on the wait list last year at UBC during a competitive year, so I hope that this will be my year.

I do have a lot of personal, research ,and volunteer experience. Do you know how American schools view that?

Edited by DeafAudi

I know the numbers aren't all they look at, though they are an easy way to get considered seriously. But I think the most important thing to show is that you have done your research and this is what you want to do (so volunteer experience, observation hours, clinical hours are good to have). I also know AuD programs are very open to people with diverse backgrounds and there is no prerequisite coursework for that reason.

Since you were on the waitlist last year, you were competitive, so if you spent this last year bolstering your resume and you're still (or even more) serious about Audiology, it'll shine through!

Thank you, I do appreciate your encouragement! It's easy to become discouraged when reading the numbers.

I have remain committed, and hope that my being a bilateral CI user will also help make me more interesting. So, have you begun your applications yet? I am lucky that I have a LOI from last year that I can work with and I don't have to start from scratch. I, like everyone else, certainly have enough on my plate!

That's great! I'm lucky that most of my deadlines are February 1st because like I said, I have to retake the GRE. I do have one deadline on Jan 10 but that school is willing to accept a late score. Is this your first time applying?

By the way, I wonder when anyone else will join us here? I'm thinking likely after the application deadlines when there is nothing to do but wait.

Edited by DeafAudi

It is my first time. I'm finishing up my bachelor's as we sp.. type. I have one Feb 1 deadline, but I think I like the earlier January deadline. You get earlier notice of admission and rejection and much more time to decide. My one school due on Feb 1 has an on-campus interview which will cost a lot to get to, so if I have a good offer before then, I won't have to bother! But, if you still have stuff to do, it is nice to have more time for sure. You're also lucky because you'll know which schools you want. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEIR GRE CODES! The four free score reports expire immediately after you leave, and I only used one because I wasn't sure what schools I was applying to. I'm not even applying there anymore :(

I don't know when/if anyone will join us, but I hope so!

I do agree with you--had I been more organized, I would have been more than happy with an earlier deadline. And YES about the GRE thing! It's so expensive to send it afterwards :(

I'm curious what influenced your choice in programs? I'm from Canada so I don't really know where I want to live. It's been hard for me to narrow down my list, and it is ever changing! The only programs I am sure about are Pacific University, Syracuse, and San Diego State University. Although Pacific is low rated, it is an accelerated 3 year program, which is very appealing to me. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

TBH you don't need the GRE codes specifically - just the school name will do.

I chose schools closer to family than I live now (so around the Midwest and South) and those that are based in small towns with or near a hospital, preferably a VA. I am really interested in hearing conservation, so schools that consult with local industry or put on such programming in schools are high on my list (James Madison and U of IA). Some schools like LTU have new vestibular assessment gear, ensuring clinical experience in balance (while some schools like U of IA reportedly don't offer any clinical experience in it). Another big factor is the amount of students that get funding -- you can check on ASHA's Edfind for the amount of admissions offers a school puts out and the amount of students who get offered money. Audiology isn't a field that offers a great salary, so for 4 years of postbac schooling, I want to keep my loans down, and I believe this is what will ultimately determine where I go (assuming I get accepted anywhere and get funding anywhere).

Also, I'm not worried about ranking. Accreditation means they are at least meeting the bare minimum requirements and the ranking itself is usually based on # of PhD faculty and the amount of research being cranked out, among other arbitrary factors. The option to pursue a PhD is intriguing, but I ultimately want a good clinical experience as an AuD is a clinical doctorate, after all. This is where the 3 year programs miss the mark for me, even though I'm applying to one (and the only way I would accept is if I get their full free ride scholarship).

That's really good that you know exactly which field you want to work in! I know that I want to end up in a CI clinic so I need to research schools that focus in that or at least would be able to offer me that experience. Did you address your specific interests in your letter of intent? 

I know what you mean about the rankings--I am also considering applying to A.T. Still University, which is very low ranked, but is supposed to be a great program. The higher ranked programs also seem to be more competitive, so I would rather avoid that. 

Good luck on your applications! I hope to have a solid list of schools by the end of the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoo hooo! I had given up on this forum happening. :D

I'm and undergrad at U Iowa so if you have any specific, super-secret info you'd like to know feel free to ask!

I just posted a couple recruitment notices to try and get more AuD people aware of this forum.  Hopefully we can have an active group soon. 

Edited by AuD2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2013 at 11:06 PM, pqo309 said:

I'm looking at schools towards the Midwest and East Coast... I'm currently set on Iowa, WashU, James Madison, University of Nebraska, and Louisiana Tech. I think 5 is good but I keep thinking about other places, but anywhere near a VA is good enough for me.

I am applying to Tech too. I live in Louisiana. This is my number 1 choice. Afraid I'll be rejected though.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, MrAuDguy and AudMel! It is so awesome seeing more people applying to audiology this year! 

AudMel, I hope this isn't a weird question but is Mel your nickname? Mine is also Mel, short for Melanie :). That would be funny if we also had that in common!