Higher Education masters programs with funding?

RedPill

Does anyone know the funding situation for higher ed masters programs? I'm able to piece together a little bit here and there, but I'm hoping to make a comprehensive database here. If you know how funding works at a particular program, please post!

Schools of interest: UGA, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Michigan, UCLA, USC, Harvard, Penn, Columbia 

I think that it is mentioned somewhere else but Harvard and Vanderbilt are a little limited on the funding they offer for their masters' students. For most of these programs, doctoral students receive most of the funding and you may have to rely more on loans as a masters student. When I was looking at USC, I did not see much about their funding but it really depends on the type of assistantship that you would receive. Some offer full tuition at USC while others are more restrictive. I would contact each program individually about what type of aid exists for their masters students.Out of all of them UGA appears to offer the best funding out of your list. 

I think that it is mentioned somewhere else but Harvard and Vanderbilt are a little limited on the funding they offer for their masters' students. For most of these programs, doctoral students receive most of the funding and you may have to rely more on loans as a masters student. When I was looking at USC, I did not see much about their funding but it really depends on the type of assistantship that you would receive. Some offer full tuition at USC while others are more restrictive. I would contact each program individually about what type of aid exists for their masters students.Out of all of them UGA appears to offer the best funding out of your list. 

I have heard from a former Vanderbilt masters student that funding there is quite generous. I'm not sure how true this is. Ironically, I'm not sure of the Masters funding situation here at UGA. I feel like I should know this..

Thanks for the input jsparks. In my notes I have "75% apply and get financial assistance half are need-based" but I failed to provide a link, indicate if its for masters or PhD(probably masters) and define "financial assistance"

Have you considered Boston University, George Washington, Southern Methodist, or SUNY-Albany? I found them through the NASPA directory and based on what I've skimmed of their directory listings, they focus more on administration, policy, and/or leadership and they claim to offer assistantships (I'm at work right now so I can't explore further, because I should probably at least try to look like I'm busy :) ).

You could also explore their directory yourself! I've found it pretty helpful in my program search. You can narrow the results by program focus and financial aid offerings. Of course the results it gives aren't 100% perfect, but it's a helpful starting point. http://www.naspa.org/careers/graduate/graduate-program-directory

Hope this helped to some degree!

Have you considered Boston University, George Washington, Southern Methodist, or SUNY-Albany? I found them through the NASPA directory and based on what I've skimmed of their directory listings, they focus more on administration, policy, and/or leadership and they claim to offer assistantships (I'm at work right now so I can't explore further, because I should probably at least try to look like I'm busy :) ).

You could also explore their directory yourself! I've found it pretty helpful in my program search. You can narrow the results by program focus and financial aid offerings. Of course the results it gives aren't 100% perfect, but it's a helpful starting point. http://www.naspa.org/careers/graduate/graduate-program-directory

Hope this helped to some degree!

Definitely helpful! Although, I'm not interested in student affairs whatsoever. This database gives really useful information on other higher ed programs. SMU comes to mind because of Michael McLendon's work.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the big name schools don't offer has much funding because they know they will get the best students applying regardless. The less known schools are the ones that will give you the most like E. Mich Uni

Sadly for me, those schools aren't going to get me where I need to go!

Just heard from Stanford's MA webinar that there is very limited funding. -Sigh-

Harvard told me they have all kinds of internships, but finding a job really isn't an issue. Tuition is the primary concern.

I would say loans shouldn't be an option if your goal is to get a PhD(which is mine). The ROI for an academic masters and doctoral degree simply isn't worthwhile. 

You likely won't be making very much in this field, so I would rather not take out loans. I mean, I'll have to take out loans for COL anyways.

Thanks for your insight Mac

In my humble opinion, I think the Harvard name is only worthwhile nationally in business, law, and medicine. Outside those fields, the Harvard name becomes regional (strongest in the Northeast). If you are planning to live in the Midwest or South (and even West Coast), there are better higher education programs with stronger alumni, research, and regional placement connections. You have to consider your post-master's options: where do you plan to live? what is your career interest? Are you planning to work locally or nationally? That will dictate more than anything if the Harvard master's degree is worth the money (and debt). For instance, a Harvard master's degree in higher education is not significantly better than a Michigan master's degree in higher education if I plan to live in the Midwest.

Edited by michigan girl

Michigan(doctoral program) is number one while Harvard is 10th.

In regards to name... I would like to find the name of any employer employing a higher ed masters graduate who isn't familiar with Harvard. :D

Edited by RedPill

@RedPill You may have already addressed this, but is there any particular benefit to doing a Masters first, then the PhD? Have you considered just applying to PhD programs or adding a PhD program in to the mix to see what happens?

Your other option could be to look for funding opportunities outside of the program. Research Assistantships, Teaching Assistantships, etc. etc. They may not be super glamorous, but every bit helps.

@RedPill You may have already addressed this, but is there any particular benefit to doing a Masters first, then the PhD? Have you considered just applying to PhD programs or adding a PhD program in to the mix to see what happens?

Your other option could be to look for funding opportunities outside of the program. Research Assistantships, Teaching Assistantships, etc. etc. They may not be super glamorous, but every bit helps.

Yup Bums, that was like my life question for the longest time.

Fact of the matter is, it's rare to find a faculty position at a top program without a masters degree. Maybe it's practicality, maybe it's tradition. It's hard to say. Plus I'm on the younger side of applicants, with no work experience or a masters degree, it's hard to make my case to any of my targeted programs as well as my peers and potential employers. Plus, unlike the sciences/humanities, our time to degree is only 5 or 6 years. That's less than medical school or dental school+specialization. Our masters are usually a year or 1.5 years(Michigan). I don't really see the big benefit of "saving that year. It'll be fun and beneficial to have a change of pace, to network at a different university and grow as a person before entering the PhD program. Remember, only 50% of doctoral candidates finish. :D

Personally, wanting to go into research/policy/administration, I want to develop really strong quantitative skills. I'm hoping to take as many methods courses I can during my time at my masters. 

A former student at a top 10 program recommended I ask the different PhD programs if there was a way for me to apply to the doctoral program, and if I'm no good, would they be able to defer me to the MA program. Might be a good idea for those of us wanting to get the PhD, but I'm sure how viable of an option this is.. sounds like too much work for them. 

If you have no post-BA work experience, then it's highly recommended to get the master's degree first, work in the field for 2-3 years, and then apply to Higher Education PhD programs. Higher education PhD programs want applicants with strong academic record and PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE. Faculty know that graduate students who have been in the field for some time perform  much better (and persist to candidacy) than straight-from-undergrad applicants. Higher education is a professional field, not a discipline like sociology or psychology. Prior experience in higher education administration/research/policy and student affairs work will enhance your research goals. You can apply what you learned in practice to theory (and vice versa). Thus, it's not uncommon for higher education programs to have an average age of 30 for incoming cohorts.

Edited by michigan girl

I agree with Michigan girl on going on working before going for the PhD. Not only because you are more likely to be accepted, but as she said, it goes a long way towards shaping your research interests.

However, I disagree with her statement that Harvard is a "regional" name. One of the greatest benefits of attending their program is how well connected you are to alumni. There are alumni in top positions in every major institution in the United States, and all over the world. Additionally, the Harvard degree actually becomes MORE valuable the farther away from Boston you are.

I agree with Michigan girl on going on working before going for the PhD. Not only because you are more likely to be accepted, but as she said, it goes a long way towards shaping your research interests.

However, I disagree with her statement that Harvard is a "regional" name. One of the greatest benefits of attending their program is how well connected you are to alumni. There are alumni in top positions in every major institution in the United States, and all over the world. Additionally, the Harvard degree actually becomes MORE valuable the farther away from Boston you are.

Would you say work experience is relevant for one pursuing academic positions rather than student affairs/administration? 

Would you say work experience is relevant for one pursuing academic positions rather than student affairs/administration? 

Absolutely. In our orientation, they told us that very few students move straight from a master's to an EdD or PhD program.

I don't know about your specific situation, but I would say that this isn't a great field to get into if you are pursuing an academic position at a research heavy institution. When you graduate with a PhD or EdD in higher ed, you will also be competing against people with sociology, psychology, history, and statistics PhDs. If there isn't a career you would be interested in with just a master's, I would think hard before accepting a position in a program.

HGSEstudent, the "Harvard" name is only national / international in three fields: business, law, and medicine. Public policy is 50/50 (international development, yes; domestic affairs, not so much since Michigan and Wisconsin are equally strong in the area of social policy). If a prospective applicant wants to pursue a career in any of those four professional fields, then I highly recommend Harvard.

Outside those fields, the Harvard name is regional (East Coast). For instance, no one outside the Northeast cares if you have a master's degree in education from Harvard. If your career focus is K-12 teaching, you will start off on the same pay scale as the directional state university graduate. Another example is engineering -- most employers hire from the MITs, Michigans, and Virginia Techs for entry-level workers. A Harvard degree in engineering isn't infinitely better than many flagship public universities with prestigious engineering programs. Michigan, Michigan State, and UCLA are considered the most prestigious programs for the study of higher and postsecondary education (if you attend ASHE events, Michigan and UCLA alumni dominate the annual conferences). At the graduate level, the department/program ranking is often more important than the overall university ranking. 

Edited by michigan girl

FWIW, I think it's a mistake to get caught up in perceptions of reputation when we're talking about master's degrees in education, which are professional degrees intended to position you for entry/mid-level work experience.  (And for which there are no rankings!)  Having been a hiring manager for more than a decade across three institutions, I can tell you -- reputation really doesn't matter.  And I agree with MichiganGirl that this field tends to function regionally in hiring and professional development opportunities.  Focusing on length of program, required vs elective coursework, internship opportunities and funding will stand you in far better stead than focusing on institutional reputation.

Doctoral is a different story: sub-field rankings matter a lot.

I understand what you're saying.

Although, Michigan girl, I think it's a little naive to say Harvard is a regional name. This isn't a flagship state school we're talking about where alumni are centered in the state. I'm sure many international students select Harvard, not just NE residents..

Maybe the name of Harvard won't aid you as much in your job hunt as much as it would law, business, dentistry(top match rates for those of you who aren't familiar with dental school) or medicine, but Harvard isn't a "regional" name.

Anybody that you would be interacting in the field of education should know of Harvard, internationally and not. 

And there is no need to indirectly insult HGSEstudent with a questionable statement like "HGSEstudent, the "Harvard" name is only national / international in three fields: business, law, and medicine."

(HGSE = Harvard Graduate School of Education)

You wouldn't like it if someone said "Michigangirl, the "Michigan" name is only national/international in three fields: business, law and medicine," would you?

The same applies for HGSEstudent's program. :)

See also:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/subject-ranking/subject/social-sciences

Edited by RedPill

Redpill, you missed my entire point. 

Just because someone has a master's degree from Harvard does not mean they will be hired over a state university graduate in, let's say, the Midwest or South for that matter. That's reality. I know many competent professionals in the field of education who did not attend Harvard. If I was a hiring manager, I would want to hire the person who has prior experience in the field, understands the responsibilities of the position, the needs of the (underserved) students, and the culture in which he/she will be working with. The latter is extremely important. If a Harvard graduate expects to get a position based only on institutional reputation, he or she will be in for a rude awakening because that's not how the real world works.

Your point was well understood. 

Nobody was insinuating that a blank resume Harvard masters degree holder will obtain a job over a full resume Michigan masters degree holder. 

(Full disclaimer: I have no study to prove either case. This is my humble and qualitative opinion.)

Edited by RedPill