Harvard Government and Social Policy program

lunarrabbit

Hello!

I had a plan to apply to the Department of Government at Harvard.

But recently I found that they also offered a joint program focused on social policy, and it seems to more fit my fields of interest, social policy and welfare state. 

Though reading their website carefully, I still don't have much information about the program. 

Like, which school do they belong to? GSAS? Or, HKS?

What career paths their alumni have taken? At a school? Or, more professional jobs?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. :) 

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/socialpol/intro/intro.htm

Social policy is housed in HKS. Read through the intro page to get a good idea of what people do after getting the degree.

Edited: Said Government was in HKS.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/socialpol/intro/intro.htm

Social policy is housed in HKS (as is, obviously, Government). Read through the intro page to get a good idea of what people do after getting the degree.

Thanks. What makes me confused is they receive their application via the GSAS application form, not the HKS one. Also, those students should finish the requirements for Government students. 

I am little bit worried that people tend to think HKS is professional rather than academic, since my career goal is to teach. 

Edited by lunarrabbit

Thanks. What makes me confused is they receive their application via the GSAS application form, not the HKS one. Also, those students should finish the requirements for Government students. 

I am little bit worried that people tend to think HKS is professional rather than academic, since my career goal is to teach. 

Reach out to the program (find a program director's name, perhaps?) and explain that this seems to fit your research interests perfectly, but that you're interested in an academic career. But It's a partnership between GSAS and HKS, so I don't think it would hold you back at all. Plus, you'd have a Ph.D. from Harvard, which sets you up well for an academic future. 

Government is NOT housed at HKS at Harvard. Social policy is, and the program is joint between HKS and GSAS. In practice, your application is evaluated largely by people in the Government department in GSAS.

This. I realized I mixed that up after I responded originally.

I'll add that once admitted, social policy students are basically indistinguishable from other government students. There are a couple of required classes (taken with the sociology and social policy students) and some minor differences about generals and funding sources but thats pretty much it. The placements have been successful with obvious small sample size caveats http://www.hks.harvard.edu/socialpol/students/alumni.htm