studio art background & cv

glitter_mntn

Hello all! Long-time lurker finally emerging from the shadows. A massive, massive thanks to everyone who has contributed to the amazing resources in this little corner of the web!  :)

My BA is in studio art, and I'm making the stressful/exciting transition into art history MA programs that include criticism and theory. (I should add that I do have the required coursework in art history to apply, plus my background includes critical theory, literature, language, etc.) The departments I've been in touch with are very receptive to students with studio backgrounds. Yay! 

For my CV, I'm wondering if I should include my more studio-based stuff., ie awards/distinctions that were for my artwork (rather than research/writing), or my (short) exhibition activity. Of course I want my application as a whole to emphasize that I can make the transition-- I've tried to downplay the studio emphasis a bit by including a section for relevant coursework details. Does including this stuff show a complete picture of who I am, or does it just distract from the fact that I'm ready for graduate-level art history? I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Recent conversations with people who don't really know anything grad admissions are making me think twice. 

Thoughts from people who are well-acquainted with the field and the admissions process? If any of you are making a similar transition I'd love to chat!

Applications usually have a separate section for awards and distinctions and you can mention your awards in art activities there. It will add strength to your application.

As for what you should emphasize, it depends upon where you are applying and how the Art History program is oriented there.

There are schools where Art History and Fine Art are parts of the same Department. The courses emphasize artist-specific styles and techniques in various genres. In such places, your emphasis on your studio work will be an asset. A look at the courses and the professors' research interests can show if the department leans towards artistic styles and techniques. 

On the other hand, there are schools where Art History takes a more interdisciplinary approach, making connections with subjects such as Archaeology, History, Religion, Literature, Sociology, Performing Arts etc. Professors' research interests and courses show a leaning towards more broader contextual interpretations of art. It's not to say that style and technique are not taught in these places, but there is more stress on other aspects of studying art history. In such places you'll need to demonstrate your ability to study art from a more interdisciplinary perspective.

You have to tailor your CV according to the place where applying. Perhaps you will be more comfortable at schools in the first category, but of course it's only my impression. I may be wrong.

Edited by Seeking

Hello all! Long-time lurker finally emerging from the shadows. A massive, massive thanks to everyone who has contributed to the amazing resources in this little corner of the web!  :)

My BA is in studio art, and I'm making the stressful/exciting transition into art history MA programs that include criticism and theory. (I should add that I do have the required coursework in art history to apply, plus my background includes critical theory, literature, language, etc.) The departments I've been in touch with are very receptive to students with studio backgrounds. Yay! 

For my CV, I'm wondering if I should include my more studio-based stuff., ie awards/distinctions that were for my artwork (rather than research/writing), or my (short) exhibition activity. Of course I want my application as a whole to emphasize that I can make the transition-- I've tried to downplay the studio emphasis a bit by including a section for relevant coursework details. Does including this stuff show a complete picture of who I am, or does it just distract from the fact that I'm ready for graduate-level art history? I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Recent conversations with people who don't really know anything grad admissions are making me think twice. 

Thoughts from people who are well-acquainted with the field and the admissions process? If any of you are making a similar transition I'd love to chat!

I am in a "somewhat" similar situation. The difference is that I don't have a studio art degree, but I have had a long and successful career as an artist, and I have also been teaching art at the University level. So anyway... here is my fifty cents:

You are right that most programs are usually receptive to artists/art historians. In fact, I have had many prospectives POIs stressing the importance of having this sort of experience/training to do art historical work. They claim that it makes those with this kind of experience unique. So don't downplay your experience or studio art background, instead explain how it gives you a different perspective and/or how it influenced/informed your transition into art history. Show that you are multidimensional! You can bring something different to the table -- you have an understanding of a certain medium/mediums that others might lack, for example... use it in your favor.

In my CV, I list everything, but I make a point to differentiate which achievements are related to my work as an artist, and which ones relate to my art history/academic experience.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Thanks for the feedback, guys! 

Brazillian, I have been following your posts for a while because it seemed we were in similar situations! I've also received positive feedback from programs about my studio background, and I agree that people who bring backgrounds outside art history to the field certainly make interesting and valuable contributions. I think we'll be ok! Are you appling to MAs or PhDs, or both?

Thanks for the feedback, guys! 

Brazillian, I have been following your posts for a while because it seemed we were in similar situations! I've also received positive feedback from programs about my studio background, and I agree that people who bring backgrounds outside art history to the field certainly make interesting and valuable contributions. I think we'll be ok! Are you appling to MAs or PhDs, or both?

MAs only this time.

Edited by brazilianbuddy

• 2 years later...

I have a studio degree (MFA) and I was able to get a place in an art history MA....but it wasn't that smooth of one.  If you have a choice between taking a cooler program and getting the different area, my guess is take the cooler program.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but if you're still following, I'd love to know where you ended up! I also received a BFA (sculpture) and am now applying for art history MA and PhD programs. I completed an Art History minor in undergrad, which came out to six or seven art history courses, but it is still fairly intimidating to compete for spots with so many people who double majored in AH and a foreign language. How did you find the transition? Thanks!