Is math more important?

Xindol

I'm thinking of joining a Ph.D. program in economics, and I'm perplexed about what is more important 'to the admissions committee' and most importantly to the success in the program, per se, at a regular institution such as UC Irvine, UC Riverside, or Boston College, U of Virginia, U of Washington, or maybe U Penn, Columbia, Berkeley as one of the top programs. By looking at their requirements, they usually prefer a mathematics sequence like the following: 3 semesters of calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, probability/statistics. I've emailed one of the department heads at UC Irvine and he/she told me that I should at least 'try to take intermediate macro/micro'. Sure, I could take only one of them, but is it important? Are the mathematics more important than taking these econ courses? And is differential equations applicable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Differential equations are used in macro, but having taken 2 semesters of diffeq (ordinary and partial) didn't help me with them much--the solving techniques are pretty different.  Knowing what BVPs and IVPs are is somewhat helpful, but since most of them will be solved using numerical methods and not by hand, there's not a huge benefit to having taken it. Much more important are stats and real analysis, and secondly proving that you're capable of graduate-level coursework (that's probably why they suggested the intermediate course), especially if you're aiming at universities that are a tier up from your undergrad. Arguably most important is demonstrated research ability, so if taking the intermediate course would be in lieu of RAing, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you could do both, that would be ideal.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...