"If you have more to discuss regarding your academic goals" - addition to SoP

Hi all,

I'm applying to a program that requires a 300-500 word SoP copy-pasted directly into a text field ("Please discuss in a 300-500 word statement your academic objectives pertaining to your desired program plan to study, including contemplated research projects and professional career goals. Please include any administrative, research, teaching, assessment or other experiences you have had; and, how your research interests or background fit with your desired program goals.")

However, below this there is space to attach an additional file ("If you have more to discuss regarding your academic goals, please attach it to the application by uploading it from your computer using the button below"). I am not sure if it's a good idea to submit this additional file or not and, if so, what to discuss in it vs. in the actual SoP. Any insights?

Hi,

Thanks very much for your suggestion - I think it is a great one.

My SOP was originally around 1200 words (to comply with the requirements of programs that want a 2 page SOP), so I find it difficult to make it as concise as 500 words. I was also thinking about the possibility to submit 2 versions of the same SOP; a short one that summarizes the most important points of the SOP and fits in the text box, and a longer one where I could elaborate more on the said topics. In the longer one, I'd state in the header that it's the complete version of my SOP. Do you think this is a foolish idea?

I don't think that's a very good idea. Concise writing is something that is valued in academia, and while I agree that it is a pain (my "full" SoP is 1500 words), I understand where the graduate school is coming from. I would not copypasta or repeat anything from the 500 word SoP to the longer one. 

I don't think that's a very good idea. Concise writing is something that is valued in academia, and while I agree that it is a pain (my "full" SoP is 1500 words), I understand where the graduate school is coming from. I would not copypasta or repeat anything from the 500 word SoP to the longer one. 

Thanks for the input! You're probably right. I basically rewrote the whole thing and managed to squeeze it into 500 words. I feel that some important things were left out, but I am not sure I'd be comfortable discussing them in a separate statement, as they are more than anything examples that illustrate why I am interested in x and y (I have a somewhat atypical background, as instead of going straight from MS to PhD, I've been working in developing countries for a while, and I'd like to highlight how some experiences in the field have sparked my research interests). Thus, I'm not sure they'd neatly fit under the "more to discuss regarding your academic goals" scope. 

I am debating whether to upload the additional document or not. I don't want the admission committee to think that I'm bothering them with redundant stuff; on the other hand, I wouldn't want them to think I am lazy or that I don't have anything to say, either (in case I choose not to submit additional information). Oh how I wish that there was a standard length and format for SOPs - or at least that schools were specific about what they want.

I would write a concise second document highlighting the things you left out. For example, in my short SoP I left out all my leadership experiences and extra stuff (tutoring, supplemental instruction, etc.). If I were given the opportunity to upload a second document, I'd talk about that.