Ask about Online PhD. Interview through the Skype!

mahdimosawi

Hi there,

I've applied for PhD program in Sociology and Methodology of Social Research.The second stage of the assessment would be an online through Skype. I am wondering if anybody has some information about this kind of interview, the probable questions and answers. For example I've heard about the question of "TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF" repeatedly, but I don't how it's possible to answer that efficiently. Furthermore, I really appreciate any advice.  

Thank you so much in advance! 

I had a number of job interviews, and I doubt it would differ much.That's how I reply to 'Tell me about yourself'. I do it shortly as I would be answering a survey questions so it really saves time. If they want to clarify something, they'll ask. Just put the most beneficial for you stuff at the very end - people tend to remember and focus on the last what they've heard.

1. Name. How old. 

2. When I graduated my colleges. How well I did.

3. Honors and accomplishments. (Listing).

4. What kind of research I was doing (just the titles and location with the names of co-authors).

5. Where I worked. What I've mastered at my jobs.

6. The skills you have, which you think are the best for your applying position.

7. And logically come to the summary and why you want to be enrolled in a phd program in general and the specific school in particular.

It's not bad an idea to write everything down and practice.

Good luck!

Edited by Solnce

• 1 month later...

I have a Skype interview coming up next week, and in my case, they have narrowed down the applicants to 10 who will get Skype interviews and then they will cut that number roughly in half to be invited out to "interview weekend".  The Skype interview is making a bit over-anxious, but it is an honor to be at least in the top-10 at a "reach" school.

I am setting up my desk with notes all over behind the monitor so I can quickly take a peak and it will appear as if I am looking into the screen.

Good luck everyone!!