Hello all,

On one of my applications, there is a space for a Diversity Statement. My question is, if I am a suburban white male, is it poor form to fill it out? I don't think I've had any glaring adversities in my life, the only notable ones would be my parents divorce, the subsequent living with my brother, and difficulties with ADD, which in the grand scheme of things are not very, well, adverse I guess. I do think I am a unique candidate in terms having a wide array of life experiences that have given me (what I would consider) wisdom that surpasses a vast majority of my peers, but I'm just not sure if the diversity statement the venue for that type of thing (and by that I mean, travel, the wide variety of jobs I've worked, community service, etc.). Is it viable to say that I'm diverse because I find ways to have unique experiences and engage with people not like me and try to push my comfort zone?

Thank you for your thoughts

Not at all.  Most schools give a broad definition for diversity, one that includes diversity of experience.  Talk about those experiences, about overcoming adversities unrelated to ethnicity and gender. 

Also, if your work has any significant impact for disadvantaged groups, you could discuss that.

Edited by gellert

Hello all,

On one of my applications, there is a space for a Diversity Statement. My question is, if I am a suburban white male, is it poor form to fill it out? I don't think I've had any glaring adversities in my life, the only notable ones would be my parents divorce, the subsequent living with my brother, and difficulties with ADD, which in the grand scheme of things are not very, well, adverse I guess. I do think I am a unique candidate in terms having a wide array of life experiences that have given me (what I would consider) wisdom that surpasses a vast majority of my peers, but I'm just not sure if the diversity statement the venue for that type of thing (and by that I mean, travel, the wide variety of jobs I've worked, community service, etc.). Is it viable to say that I'm diverse because I find ways to have unique experiences and engage with people not like me and try to push my comfort zone?

people seem to think that if they're not part of a minority or have suffered extremities in familial/economic/racial issues that they can't showcase how they can contribute to a diverse student population. i think that's such crap. it should be more so about challenges you've faced or how they've shaped the way you see things now or how they shaped your academic journey into deciding why you want to attend that particular institution you're applying to. if your life experiences gave you a large interruption in your education, talk about not just how you got over it, but how you overcame it! And yes you are diverse because you're not JUST focusing on the challenges or negativities but because you still found ways to gain such insightful experiences to aid your journey, and you can plan on making that clear in your statement. 

i think you have the right idea. keep at it!

Edited by gk210

Hello all,

What exactly is the prompt?  One of my apps asked for a diversity statement, too, but under the context of why I want to attended a large, diverse, university and what I have to bring to the table.  I am white, male, no disabilities, etc., etc. But I still found tons of examples.  

Diversity does not mean adversity.