Chemical Engineering Fall 2014

teerav42

Hey everyone,

MS&E applicant checking in. Has anyone here applied to UC Davis's Chemical and Materials Sci Eng. department? If so, has your application status changed on their website? Mine still shows that all my materials have been received (transcripts, GRE scores, etc), but no indication if my application has been sent to the adcom for review and a decision.

Hey starofdawn,

I have applied to UC Davis Chemical department. I have with me just a link which was sent by the department a few weeks after application, where i need to enter my DOB and I am taken to a page where I can see all the documents that they have received. But no where can I see the status of my application.

Hey starofdawn,

I have applied to UC Davis Chemical department. I have with me just a link which was sent by the department a few weeks after application, where i need to enter my DOB and I am taken to a page where I can see all the documents that they have received. But no where can I see the status of my application.

Thank you, I have the same link. I now know it's not just a fluke; I will continue to wait.

I just got my MIT rejection too. Disappointing, but expected, and now I can stop thinking about it! Just Carnegie Mellon left to hear from. Anyone have any idea when they'll be sending out more notifications?

Penn State, UC Davis and NC State have given me offers a couple weeks ago. But I guess they do admission on a rolling basis: I submitted mine in late December. Anyone going to the Penn State weekend which is tomorrow? 

With recruitment weekends approaching, I wonder what criteria everyone is using to decide where to go: ranking? atmosphere? size? facility?... My top ones now are Minnesota, Cornell, Penn State and UC Davis. 

What do you guys think about northwestern? In terms of strength and weakness for the PhD program.

Did you get to visit? I just got home from my Northwestern visit and I had a great time. I decided to apply there last second, it was a bit of a throw in/safety school for me, but I could see myself going there. This was my first visit though, so I don't have anything else to compare with yet.

What other visits are people going on? I know Northwestern and Berkeley do theirs on the early side. I've got Wisconsin March 13-16, Texas March 20-23, and probably Minnesota March 27-30 I haven't booked my tickets yet but I think I will go to that one. Maybe Carnegie Mellon too, though I still haven't heard from them--I'm thinking that probably means it'll be a rejection when I do hear.

Anyone planning on visiting UPenn, Cornell, or UD? I'm not sure how many visits to go on, but I'd like to visit those three campuses, at least. Does anyone know how meaningful/ valuable campus visits are in making a decision, especially for cheme programs? 

Anyone planning on visiting UPenn, Cornell, or UD? I'm not sure how many visits to go on, but I'd like to visit those three campuses, at least. Does anyone know how meaningful/ valuable campus visits are in making a decision, especially for cheme programs? 

I think visiting is absolutely ESSENTIAL in making a decision. I would never go to a school without visiting first. Case in point--I applied to Northwestern as a kind of throw in/safety school, but I had a great time on my visit there this weekend and I will seriously consider it now. Meeting the grad students at a school and asking them questions is very helpful, and it is nice to see the area where the school is located. Also, it is good to meet several professors on visits. There was one professor in particular whom I met with that I hadn't thought much about before but I had a great conversation with her and found that her research aligns much more closely with my interests than I thought.

Also, visiting is just plain fun, I'm super excited for my future visits now.

I totally agree that the Northwestern visit was a lot better than I expected (I was there the first weekend) -- I was truly impressed at how happy the professors and graduate students were.

Is anyone visiting Stanford? I would love to talk to someone that is.

Hey, Ill be going to the Cornell weekend. Where are you from? 

Hi all!

I'm an international, and got accepted to UT Austin and UCSB. Don't really have time to get a visitor visa to come visit before the acceptance deadline. Does anyone have any input about these two places? Which one is considered better and why? Where is a better place to live? and so on...

Thanks

Hi all!

I'm an international, and got accepted to UT Austin and UCSB. Don't really have time to get a visitor visa to come visit before the acceptance deadline. Does anyone have any input about these two places? Which one is considered better and why? Where is a better place to live? and so on...

Thanks

With schools that are in the top 10 or so, it doesn't matter which one is "considered better". All that matters is which PI you work for and where your interests lie. You will find that graduate school is very different than undergraduate with respect to that. 

Ask yourself what type of research you are interested in and look at some of the faculty at both schools to see who matches your interests best. Then I would suggest you contact those faculty and ask your questions. They will most likely respond since you are already admitted. 

Then you could look at how the two places are in terms of lifestyle and make your choice.

Anyone know what's up with Carnegie Mellon? My advisor told me he was pretty positive I'd get in, and I thought I would hear back by now. I emailed them earlier this week and they just told me that they'd have all decisions out in the next few weeks. Can I assume it's a rejection at this point? Because that is what I am thinking.

Hi everyone!

I've got accepted by Rice University for a PhD degree with stipend of 26000 per year (Tuition waived). could anyone give me some information on Houston and Rice?
I've also applied to PennState and NCSU. Although I haven't got any response from them, I was wondering whether I should accept Rice offer immediately. (Since I'm an international, I need a student visa and the process usually takes several months. That's why I need to make a decision very soon) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...