CU Boulder

shelbyelisha

Woah.  Crazy email.  Excuse my ignorance, but what does he mean by: "It will be McGinnll, with potentially very much worse consequences for us."  Does he mean McGill?  What happened at McGill?

Woah.  Crazy email.  Excuse my ignorance, but what does he mean by: "It will be McGinnll, with potentially very much worse consequences for us."  Does he mean McGill?  What happened at McGill?

I think he meant "McGinn II" as in another scandal along the lines of the one with Colin McGinn.

it's referring to Colin Mcginn who was recently involved in a huge sexual harassment case at Miami, in which he got fired.

He was supposed to move to Rutgers this fall. I wonder how that will play out. Will Rutgers drop him? How much bad press will Rutgers catch for hiring him (I'm positive the allegation would have turned up on a background check)? 

He was supposed to move to Rutgers this fall. I wonder how that will play out. Will Rutgers drop him? How much bad press will Rutgers catch for hiring him (I'm positive the allegation would have turned up on a background check)? 

Can they even legally drop him, if the contract's signed?

Good point. I think the student's allegation in the lawsuit is sexual assault, but it's of course very possible that it was rape. 

Sexual assault is a legal term that includes rape as it is commonly construed, in addition to some other things. But from the description of what is purported to have happened, the student passed out in the professor's apartment and woke up next to him in his bed.

Actually, I think you're right, my accusation was too hasty and isn't accurate with what was reported. I read too much into it at first glance, although who knows.

"After investigating, the lawsuit says, Slavin found Ludlow “engaged in unwelcome and inappropriate sexual advances,” including “sleeping with his arms on and around (the student) on the night of February 10-11.”"

Actually I don't even know, there are other details that indicate more happened.

God, what is wrong with this profession and the institutions that protect criminals?

Edited by SelfHatingPhilosopher

While the article doesn't say he raped the student in question. We do know that the student passed out in his apartment and awoke in his bed. Now, while it would be nice to think that the professor put her in the bed to sleep off the alcohol - his prior actions say he wasn't concerned about her well being.

Illinois has several degrees of what we've been largely calling sexual assault - criminal sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, aggravated sexual abuse, etc.

So yes, rape in Illinois isn't a legal category in of itself. In the criminal code for Illinois, rape is only mentioned twice and both times it's used in the phrase of "any of the offenses formerly known as rape."