Awful Practice test scores!

Arcanelady27

I do not know what else to do! I have tried a personal tutor, studying on my own, and Kaplan course. 

My scores are still terrible! 

Verbal 149 

Quant 138

I am suppose to take the test on January 6th. 

I am really lost at what else to do! 

Please help! 

To increase your verbal score, I strongly recommend that you try to learn as much new vocabulary as possible. Try the Barron's 3,500 word list - it helped me tremendously. And as TexasGuy said, it is important to take practice exams. You still have almost a month before your exam; practice and do not panic. 

To increase your verbal score, I strongly recommend that you try to learn as much new vocabulary as possible. Try the Barron's 3,500 word list - it helped me tremendously. And as TexasGuy said, it is important to take practice exams. You still have almost a month before your exam; practice and do not panic. 

Pohks, I learned so much vocabulary and the last time I took the test not one of the words I learned was on it! 

It was quite frustrating. 

Pohks, I learned so much vocabulary and the last time I took the test not one of the words I learned was on it! 

It was quite frustrating. 

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe your weakness is not vocabulary then, after all.

So you have already taken the GRE before? Were your scores in line with those of the practice test? If you took the GRE less than 6 months ago, you should check out the free GRE diagnostic service (grediagnostics.ets.org) to find out in what kind of questions (reading comprehension, sentence completion, etc.) you struggled the most and then practice accordingly. Good luck! 

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe your weakness is not vocabulary then, after all.

So you have already taken the GRE before? Were your scores in line with those of the practice test? If you took the GRE less than 6 months ago, you should check out the free GRE diagnostic service (grediagnostics.ets.org) to find out in what kind of questions (reading comprehension, sentence completion, etc.) you struggled the most and then practice accordingly. Good luck! 

I took the GRE back in 2011. My scores were about the same as the practice test. The quant slightly worse by four points. However, the verbal I improved three points. All I am aiming for is a 154 verbal and a 151 quant...with at least a 3.5 writing. I do not think it is possible.  :(