When did you apply and when did you hear back?

socialequity

I have applied to 6/8 schools so far. I've received emails from 2 of them saying that they received my applications and explaining what I should expect over the next few months. I haven't heard anything as far as admissions. I really appreciated the 2 emails though. It made me feel really good to know that they were on top of things and wanted to keep everyone informed.

Edited by Maleficent999

Yeah, I'm planning to have all my apps in by Christmas so I can kind of just sit back and wait (yeah right, we all know I'm going to be flipping out until I have an admit). One of the schools said they'll send out the first waive of acceptances in late January. Looking at the results, seems like a lot of the schools I'm applying to sent out a few admits in the last week of January.

Once we receive acceptance notifications (fingers crossed), does anyone know how long schools usually give for an answer? I was thinking I'd have until May to give them an acceptance or denial?

Every school I know of sets an April 15th deadline for you to notify them of your decision.

Maleficent999 is correct.  There is a national agreement amongst universities to not require admittees to make a decision before April 15th.  

After April 15th, universities have the right to take away the offer of admissions and any funding offers.  This allows students to travel to the variety of recruitment weekends and do a fair evaluation without the pressure of having to make a quick decision.  Of course, if you are admitted to multiple places and know that you are definitely NOT going to some of them, then best to let those schools know as soon as they are out of the running.  This allows them to move down their waiting lists.  

I say that with the caveat that you should visit schools you are admitted to and give yourself a chance to see the place and meet the people.  Most of us haven't visited all of the cities/schools that we apply to, so you never know - what currently feels like your "dream school" once you visit you might realize that everyone seems unhappy and there appears to be a lot of infighting/competition amongst students and/or faculty.  Conversely, there may be places that you applied to as an afterthought, but when you get there you realize that it seems like a nurturing, supportive place, everyone you talk to is really smart, and the city seems pretty cool.  

The reasons people use to decide where to go to graduate school is always extremely personal.  Give yourself time and space to make this critical decision.  But, once you've decided "no" on a place, let them know.  Of course, let them know if the decision is "yes" too! 

Edited by seekingsun

^or, you could just tell us where you're applying and we can tell you whether we are on your list or not?

Here let me start :P

Columbia, CUNY, JHU, Rutgers, UCI, BC, Stony Brook, Binghamton. Am I SOL? :D

LOL. I've applied to ten! Want to have a few to choose from where my husband can also get a postdoc in his field!

Here's my lengthy list: North Carolina State University (my first choice!), Univ. of Oklahoma Norman, UT Austin, Univ. of Maryland College Park, Rice, and then UC-San Diego, Santa Cruz, Riverside, and San Francisco.

not on your list, sorry. i was wondering though; why is ncsu your top choice? ut, maryland and the uc's on your list have much stronger phd programs in soc.

NCSU is my top choice because since I met some faculty members and current grad students, I feel like I'd fit in really well and I really liked the people! There are a few faculty members who are doing really interesting research and they've all been so nice! Location is perfect as well since my in-laws live close and the research triangle is where my husband wants to do his postdoc (molecular genetics). :-) 

Edited by LesSoc

Here let me start :P

Columbia, CUNY, JHU, Rutgers, UCI, BC, Stony Brook, Binghamton. Am I SOL? :D

LOL. I've applied to ten! Want to have a few to choose from where my husband can also get a postdoc in his field!

Here's my lengthy list: North Carolina State University (my first choice!), Univ. of Oklahoma Norman, UT Austin, Univ. of Maryland College Park, Rice, and then UC-San Diego, Santa Cruz, Riverside, and San Francisco.

I'm at a major program in the Midwest, so all the coast-focused folk are out of our scope.   :(   We're timed with all the other big guns, so I'd assume that the top 10-15 programs will be sending out offers within a week or so of each other.   Any program that is going to try to schedule a recruitment event for admittees, will be trying their darnedest to have offers out by late Jan/early Feb.  That allows for 14-day advanced plane ticket purchases and some wiggle room to visit multiple programs at the end of Feb through March, so that admittees can make their decisions the April 15 deadline.

Edited by seekingsun