Advice?

ay761

I have returned to grad school after many (5+) years away. I came back because although I have worked a lot of jobs and had a lot of experience I realized that going down the academic path was what I really wanted to do, despite the fact I was making good money elsewhere.   

I came to a 2 year masters program to try and make myself a more competitive PhD applicant.   I took a lot on straight from the beginning, working 20-30 hours per week this past first semester - including starting one high pressure job this past month that covers my full tuition but requires me to live under the constant fear of being fired (the manager always threatens everyone, myself included, and often does actually fire people).   

Now my grades are in, and they have suffered.  I got a B, B+ and an A- ... 3.3 GPA.  

I was planning on applying next fall for PhD programs... should I even bother considering that now, given those grades?  My GRE scores were also not high when I took them... 159 verbal (85%), 149 math(40%).  I can retake them and get them up but I'm not sure by how much.  

I could quit my RA job that is paying all my tuition yet making my life a living hell (it's not very related to my field of interest anyway), pay tuition with savings and be completely broke when I graduate at the age of 30+ (it's probably worth noting that my family is broke as well).  

I know I didn't put my full effort into the class I got a B in (plus the professor and I disagree ideologically and everyone knows he takes that into consideration when grading), but the A- class... I really felt I produced my best work, I truly enjoyed writing the final paper, and put 150% effort into it, lost many nights of sleep.  If that's the best I can do... maybe I should consider a career change... even though I have already experimented with other things, and know that I love writing and research.  I don't know what I should do, and feel that I am quickly slipping into a state of depression... 

Hey ay761, I think Lisa wrote it well. GPA is but one factor, as is the GRE. If you have an interest in studying at the doctoral level, I would apply one way or the other and see how things go this semester. Every situation is different, but if you really, really want to go on in school, what good will waiting do?

For full disclosure, I have a less than stellar academic transcript, particularly at the undergraduate level. 

The most important part of doctoral study and preparedness for doctoral study is research experience. If you have good research experience relevant to your field of study then that will probably counter the lower GPA. 

Depending on your field of interest it is entirely possible that you can find a job that involves research & writing without going into academia. In the physical and social sciences, there are certainly non-academic research-based jobs to be found. Plus - you can work off your debt at the same time. So even if you don't get accepted into a PhD program, I don't think it will be the end of the world or your professional goals...