Writing sample: on formatting.

Hopephily

Just some last minute questions about the writing sample that I was hoping someone might be able to answer. 

1) Is it proper to include acknowledgements (i.e., as a footnote/endnote) in your sample? 

2) Is it better to use footnotes or endnotes? Or is this just a silly question indicating that I am going mad after a long semester?

3) Abstract or no abstract?  

Thanks! 

I don't know what's considered proper formatting, but I can tell you what I did.

1) I did not include acknowledgments.

2) Used footnotes.

3) Included an abstract.

I was worried about all the same things. I asked a few professors, and never got a specific answer. It's my impression that as long as the formatting isn't distracting from the content of the sample, it shouldn't be a big deal.

On the footnotes, endnotes question - literally just use the one you prefer. Both are acceptable under Chicago style, which is what a lot of major philosophy journals use. I like footnotes, that way I don't have to flip to the back every time I have to see a note.

As for abstract, I have no idea, I asked around and nobody seemed like "Abstract Needed" so I made sure that my introduction, which is like a page and half long, is basically an abstract. I figured it was the best of both.

Acknowledgements, again I doubt it would hurt you to include them, however if you include a professor or something, people might question how much credit they actually deserve. I personally didn't include acknowledgements, purely because  nobody I would've acknowledge would read the finished paper, so they wouldn't know even if I did.

I think that all of these just indicate that you're over-thinking the minor details. :) I can't imagine that any of these would have any impact whatsoever on how an adcom will see your sample. 

Footnotes. While endnotes are technically okay, I think having quick and easy access to your sources is one of the more important parts of your writing sample. Of course, they want to see that you can write, but I think equally important is showing that you know where/what to look for in your subfield, and this is most clearly seen in your footnotes.. 

I think that all of these just indicate that you're over-thinking the minor details. :) I can't imagine that any of these would have any impact whatsoever on how an adcom will see your sample. 

I second this--so long as it looks neat, the SOP is so much less important than the writing sample (so I've been led to believe). Also, I'd say go with footnotes over endnotes, for the same said reasons above--I don't know about you guys, but I despise endnotes!

Two professors specifically told me to include an abstract in my writing sample. You just want to make the work you do in your sample obvious as quickly as possible, and an abstract helps do that. 

(& I agree with the preference for footnotes over endnotes as a reader. I almost always at least glance at footnotes, but I usually only look at endnotes if I have some question)

Edited by Table