C in Core Class?

BTSLP

Hi,

I'm graduating from undergrad in Spring 2015 and I hope to attend a SLP program in Fall 2015. My parents agreed to help me pay for grad school if I didn't take a gap year, and I'm totally fine with that. I'm also completing undegrad in 3 years without taking summer classes.

My GPA was 3.7 before this semester, but I just found out that my grade for Anatomy I is a C-. I had a tough time with this class towards the beginning of the semester, but I improved a lot since then. It has more to do with the professor's teaching style, test format, and the fact that this his first time teaching in 20 years than my ability to learn the material. Even other undergrads in my class were struggling. Unfortunately, my performance towards the beginning of the semester affected my final grade. So far I've been getting A's in my Speech and Hearing classes, but I'm worried how horrible this will look on my transcript when applying to grad programs.

My school won't let students retake a course if they got higher than a D-. Could I redeem myself if I get an A in Anatomy II?

I know that grad programs look at all aspects of your application, but how can I be accepted if they think that I don't know basic anatomy?! I'm sorry if I'm being dramatic, I'm just really worried.

Did anyone on here have a similar experience and end up being accepted somewhere?

Thank you!

I don't think one C will ruin your chances if you have high grades in your other classes. Remember that schools will consider your GRE scores, SOP, LORs, and experience, too, plus I feel like most will care more about speech and hearing anatomy and field-specific coursework than general anatomy, especially if you do well in Anatomy II.

Good luck!

I agree, when a school looks at your major GPA and your cumulative GPA it will be good. Everyone has those classes that were just more miserable than others for some reason. It's too bad you can't replace the grade, that is a strange rule.

My grad program doesn't accept students who got a C or below in the pre-req SLP courses, and I know they are not the only ones like that.  I'd see if you can re-take the A&P for SLH class online somewhere like USU or other online pre-req programs.  Your overall GPA will probably be just fine, but check to see if you have to have a B or better in all of your speech undergrad classes.  As far as I know, a C or better in the general pre-reqs (sciences, math, etc.) is fine.  If the anatomy class you're talking about is general (and not the SLH anatomy & physiology), I concur with the others on here - you'll probably be fine, but the grade in Anatomy II as an A would definitely boost your application, if you have the room to add another class in next semester.