Applying to Neuroscience programs from outside the discipline

mutualist007

I am posting this just to get some feedback and thoughts.

I am currently in two Master's programs: one is in Public Health Epidemiology, and the other is Anthropology. I basically started one then entered the other for background and decided to go ahead and finish both. I have some background coursework in molecular biology and genetics that was supplementary to my main program projects.

I am trying to sell this to a program to study with a person who combines methods in imaging and genomics. I also have an interested in non-human primate work as well. My MPH will be used as a means to translate research into epidemiology and translating it to public health - healthcare settings.

Are neuros usually taken from biology, neuroscience or psychology backgrounds, or can a case be made for someone coming in from a different flight path?

Thanks in advance!

Neuroscience students typically come from neuroscience or biology backgrounds (in my program, neuroscience is squarely in the biology and biomedical field).  These students generally take courses in basic biology, cell physiology, genetics, biochemistry/organic chemistry, molecular biology, and every once in awhile you will find some neurophysiology ("Brain and Behavior") classes in the psychology department.

Your coursework may or may not be an issue -- did you take anything as an undergrad that could help? Are you looking for master's or PhD programs? If it's the latter, I think the main issue is conveying both your interest in and capability of performing research for a long period of time, which is substantially different than taking science courses.  If you are looking for a third master's, I think it would be pretty easy to convince them that your background would work out, provided you feel comfortable with some of the core topics you would use (genetics-> genomics and probably molecular bio in your case).

Neuroscience students typically come from neuroscience or biology backgrounds (in my program, neuroscience is squarely in the biology and biomedical field).  These students generally take courses in basic biology, cell physiology, genetics, biochemistry/organic chemistry, molecular biology, and every once in awhile you will find some neurophysiology ("Brain and Behavior") classes in the psychology department.

Your coursework may or may not be an issue -- did you take anything as an undergrad that could help? Are you looking for master's or PhD programs? If it's the latter, I think the main issue is conveying both your interest in and capability of performing research for a long period of time, which is substantially different than taking science courses.  If you are looking for a third master's, I think it would be pretty easy to convince them that your background would work out, provided you feel comfortable with some of the core topics you would use (genetics-> genomics and probably molecular bio in your case).

Definitely the PhD! I think two masters, which already requires explanation, is enough.

I appreciate the detailed feedback. I think I have a strong SOP that explained in detail my research interests, dissertation research approach, and the 'fit' with the 3 faculty members I wanted to work with. I've already met with my primary several times and she encouraged me to apply. Now it's wait and see :)

It also depends on which form of neuroscience you would like to pursue. If you are interested in behavioral and cognitive neuroscience, many people are often taken from psychology backgrounds. I actually have my undergraduate in sociology with a minor in psychology and am currently a master's degree student in cognition and neuroscience. This is what is awesome about neuroscience; there's not one single pathway to become involved in research involving the nervous system. 

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends on which form of neuroscience you would like to pursue. If you are interested in behavioral and cognitive neuroscience, many people are often taken from psychology backgrounds. I actually have my undergraduate in sociology with a minor in psychology and am currently a master's degree student in cognition and neuroscience. This is what is awesome about neuroscience; there's not one single pathway to become involved in research involving the nervous system. 

Thanks for the encouraging post!

Just wanted to let you know my history:

I have a degree in Physics, with a minor in Computer Science. My research background is in particle physics, machine learning, and quantum information processing. I decided that I wanted to pursue neuroscience last year after taking a really cool online course, so I'm applying to work in the field of computational neuroscience for a Ph.D next fall.

Out of the programs I've applied for, which were the MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences program, and the Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior program, I was invited to interview at both. So it is DEFINITELY possible to come in from an academic and research background COMPLETELY outside of the discipline, and still get at least interviews for graduate research in neuroscience (and these are very good programs!). A note: I think the most important parts of your application are probably your statement of purpose and recommendation letters if you're coming in from an outside discipline.

Hopefully this is somewhat useful!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you know my history:

I have a degree in Physics, with a minor in Computer Science. My research background is in particle physics, machine learning, and quantum information processing. I decided that I wanted to pursue neuroscience last year after taking a really cool online course, so I'm applying to work in the field of computational neuroscience for a Ph.D next fall.

Out of the programs I've applied for, which were the MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences program, and the Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior program, I was invited to interview at both. So it is DEFINITELY possible to come in from an academic and research background COMPLETELY outside of the discipline, and still get at least interviews for graduate research in neuroscience (and these are very good programs!). A note: I think the most important parts of your application are probably your statement of purpose and recommendation letters if you're coming in from an outside discipline.

Hopefully this is somewhat useful!

Thanks! Now I need to quickly find some intel on what to expect in an interview!