International Ed Programs

Polibee

It's good to know people are interested in these programs! I hadn't seen many posts on here related to international ed, at least not for fall 2014. What are your areas of interest (ed policy, higher ed, global ed, etc)? Any idea how competitive these programs are? 

As for my stats:

B.A. Psychology & Spanish (Double Major) - 3.3 GPA from a small private liberal arts university. I graduated in 2007.

GRE: 1170, V: 500, Q: 670, AW: 4.5

Undergrad Experience: 5+ years as a volunteer, tutor and advisor in after-school and college prep programs (Upward Bound, AmeriCorps programs, etc).

Work Experience: I have been living, working, studying and volunteering in Chile for the past six years. I teach English as a Foreign Language and coordinate a certificate program at the university level.

Areas of Interest: Language, Literacy and Culture (TC), Global Education (NYU), Ed policy (Vandy, Penn).

Best of luck!

Not sure how reliable this is, but here are breakdowns for things like GRE and acceptance rate for each top ranked program. These numbers are probably for doctoral programs.

http://www.university-list.net/us/rank/univ-20131034.htm

Better than nothing I suppose! Good luck y'all!

Edited by RedPill

• 1 month later...

I'm applying for PhD programs, specifically in International Education Policy or Comparative Education. I'm interesting in Sub-Saharan African education, and found programs with faculty working in the same area: Harvard, Stanford (SHIPS), NYU (Sociology of Ed), Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan State, Pittsburgh University, U of Minnesota.

I went to UCLA (SSCE) for Masters, in case anyone has questions about that program, MA or PhD.

Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Applied to Harvard, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Penn, Minnesota, and GWU. All Masters programs. Happy to have been admitted to Vandy and GWU! Now just more waiting for those emails...

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious ... do you all have a particular region or country you're focusing on, and did that affect which schools you applied to? If a University does not have an area studies program in your interested region, is that a deal-breaker for you?

For me it was the schools that also had strong ed tech programs as I intended to bridge the gap between int'l ed and ed tech in my masters. This significantly reduced my options. The region for me wasn't as important.