applications smaplications

AuDorBust

How are all of your applications going? I am getting all 7 of my essays done this weekend and keep checking CSDCAS for my letter writers to upload their recommendations. I'm thinking of applying to a couple more places, I am getting pretty nervous about getting in somewhere good. I wish I had unlimited funds so I could visit everywhere, its hard to judge fit based on a website. 

Hey! Apps are going well. I'm finishing up my letters of intent too. I'm really worried about mine. My schools want you weakness so I was completely honest about it and I defended it. I've sent that letter to two schools already and I am panicking if I made a mistake. Anyone else have any input on listing weaknesses? Is it good to be honest?

That's a tough call, I didn't mention weaknesses. If they ask you about it, then you have to say something. But, my weakness is my less than stellar GPA. I don't have a good reason, so bringing it up would just be drawing attention to it for no reason.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I had a "sure thing" school that I was originally going to apply to and have already paid for the supplementals, and sent transcripts, and GRE scores to CSDCAS. Now, they want GRE scores to their graduate school as well. I haven't paid the $45 to CSDCAS yet for this school. So, do I cut my losses and not finish applying there or fork over another $25 for scores and $45 for app fees for a school, I am pretty sure I will get into but is only on my list for that reason? I really hate CSDCAS.

Ugh, I've been having some real issues applying to Northern Illinois University! They have  a weird system where you complete the application, pay the fee, and then submit your supporting documents. BUT...I never received an email from the school with my log in PIN or password. I've been unsuccessfully emailing the department back and forth trying to explain my situation but they must be busy because they don't seem to read my emails thoroughly. So, I ended up just emailing the admissions secretary my SOP. Hopefully it all works out! 

AUD2018, did you decide to apply to that school? 

Edited by DeafAudi

No, I didn't apply to any of the Illinois schools. That's a really strange way of doing things. I prefer to come up with my own login and password, otherwise I will never remember them. Western Michigan chose mine for me and I think I have had the password reset 3x. I submitted the last of my application materials Sunday. Now, I just sit and wait. . .and wait. Not stressed at all. :unsure:

That's so exciting! I keep putting off applying to my schools that are due on the 1st just because I can...I know that it is best to just apply early and will probably get around to that this weekend. 

And yes, it was very odd. I never did get a response from the school as to why I wasn't able to log in so I assume I was supposed to be sent a PIN number. I tried my own password that I used for my application but that wasn't working.

Happy waiting! It's already getting to me, too...haha.

Anybody on here take the GRE using the "old test"? I took it way back in 2011 and since they're good for 5 years I didn't bother to retake it, but my scores are structured a little differently than what's used now. I didn't anticipate all the problems it would cause me with my applications! I've had two schools I applied to email me this week saying that they were still missing my GRE scores, when in fact they were successfully sent and received by the designated recipient. With both programs I had to send multiple emails just asking them to "please check again" and they come back saying "oh, yeah. nevermind. you're good." 

I know it's not a big deal, but it stresses me out when a school tells me they haven't received something I MADE SURE was properly sent to them with plenty of time to spare. Just my rant for the day. Can't wait for this next month or so to go by!!

I did have one school say they never got my scores when I did send them. The ETS people are predictably awful, and said I had to pay another $25 to send the scores if I wanted to send them again. I had to spend 10 minutes arguing and demand a supervisor then spend another 5 minutes on hold before they agreed to resend them without charge. ETS is monopoly so they know they can be as shady as they want and you will give them your money because graduate programs require their exam.

ETS is monopoly so they know they can be as shady as they want and you will give them your money because graduate programs require their exam.

I love that you say this!!! I had a family emergency that forced me to drive to Arizona two days before my test and I tried to reschedule. They told me that someone in my immediate family would have had to die in order for me to reschedule my test or cancel. I lost $140 bucks because of it. I even asked if I could show my dad's hospital note and they said no. Seriously, how was I supposed to test in such a stressful situation. Was I supposed to drive back to Cali just to take the test?

Sheesh I was so frustrated.

Thanks ETS for nothing. What's even more frustrating is that we (students) spend so much time worrying about the dang test to only have it mean a small percentage of our acceptance.

Annoying.

So, back to your comment. I totally agree. Lol