Multiple POIs in a Program

VulpesZerda

Hi all,

I've been lurking around these forums throughout my undergrad (I will be applying for 2015) and finally decided to join and ask a question. There are two applied social psych programs that I'm very interested in applying to. In both programs, it appears that many of the faculty whom I share research interests with are working off of the same grant, so all of their interests are more or less the same. Most of the articles I've read are collaborations between multiple POIs and one of their students. I love all of their work (about 4 profs at one program and 3 at another). My question is, how do I choose who I want to work with when I apply? I don't want to offend anyone by listing them as a second choice. I also want to make sure I actually have a chance of being accepted, so I don't want to rule out any of the POIs when I apply.

Thanks for any input!  :)

I don't know whether this differs between subfields, but many programs I applied to had two professors that I would love to work with.  I contacted both professors at each school to ask if they would be accepting students and briefly explained my interest in their research.  Then I mentioned both in my statement of purpose.  I did not frame it as "first choice" or "second choice."  I stated why I was enthusiastic about the prospect of working with each, not giving preference to either one.  I chose this way of handling it because both profs at each school had overlapping or related interests.  I made the case that I have skills and knowledge that could contribute to either "lab" (in the context of my own research interests.) Because the topics are related, I was able to do this without sounding "wishy-washy" or undecided/uncommitted to my interests.

Note:  I haven't been accepted yet (I/O programs seem to start contacting applicants in mid-to-late-January) so I'm not claiming this is a successful way of handling it.  It's simply the way I handled it.

You may also want to keep in mind that you have a year to read more of each of these professors' work and you may find yourself eventually drawn much more to one or two of the four.  Additionally, when you get to the point of contacting professors to ask if they are taking students, you may find that some of them will not be.  This will further narrow the choices.  A third consideration is that in this last year - given that you continue to do research - your interests may shift a little bit and you may find that you become less enthused about certain lines of inquiry and more enthused about others.

Edited by Bren2014

If you discuss your research interests with either professor, it shouldn't be too much of a surpirse that you are interested in others conducting very similar research.

You could also mention in your contact/letters what research topics interest you, and say you believe you would be a perfect fit with the university given the matching research interests of professor x, professor y and professor z. 

Of course be open with people you discuss, but I'd bet this is someone commonplace to be interested in more than one individual, particularly if that department is strong in that given topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of my applications required that I list at least 3-4 faculty members that I would be interested in working with.  I think it's a benefit to match with multiple faculty members, as you may be able to shift around within the program should your research interests/financial support change.  If your research interests only match with one professor, the overall program might not be such a good fit.  Best of luck with your applications!