Interviews are being posted earlier this application season. What gives?

Molecular_Virology

Hey everyone,

I noticed that 'results posts' for interviews are being sent out in mid-December instead of mid-January (as they have been in previous years). This may seem trivial, but seeing as many of the programs that I am interested in have not contacted me, this causes me to freak the fuck out inspired me to probe deeper. So, what do you think is happening? Are more people on gradcafe? Are schools shifting the interview notices? Did I waste $2,000 on applications? Any thoughts or conspiracy theories are appreciated. 

Cheers.

At least in my field, I'd heard that the past 2 years were especially rough but that this year might be better. I am hoping that this is a positive sign. Perhaps some departments have more spots this year and can start offering interviews before all applications are in. There was an anthro phd applicant who posted that s/he got accepted mid December, even though the deadline wasn't until January! S/he discussed this on our applicant thread in the anthro section and it sounds legit! So I'm hoping this might mean good news? No reason to freak out yet, let's try to stay optimistic until the end of January at least!!!

I don't think there is a "molecular virology" phd programs for Yale and Harvard.... Yea you are probably screwed for Harvard. :(

Right. I am interested in the synthetic biology department there. Considering that interviews were sent out in January during previous years and in December this year, I was questioning if there was a change. (similar story with Yale University).

I feel the same way! I applied Yale and Harvard BBS. No idea what's going on with Yale, Harvard I'm fairly certain is a no unless a miracle happens. But I think because of the way the holidays were timed (Christmas / NYE on a Wednesday) a lot of people took two full weeks off so they tried to rush interview offers.

But I'm with you on the freaking out part... I keep thinking I'm not going to get in anywhere. Monday needs to hurry up!

Last year, I was notified by half of my schools before December 23. The other half notified me in early January and one was in March (interview off of wait list). Interviews are often sent out at some schools to top applicants, first, and other times all at once. Keep in mind that when these are sent out depend on when the committees meet, so maybe some schools met a little earlier this year, and maybe some are meeting later. Some of the research conferences got moved around this year, so those may affect which adcomms are around and available to meet.

My point is that you shouldn't freak out or worry because in this waiting period, there is nothing you can do. For now, consider no answer as positive. If you don't hear anything by February, you might be entitled to a small freakout.

You didn't apply to any of the programs I did... so I can't really give you any idea about specific programs. :P