B+ as an Undergraduate

I received a B+ in a graduate social science methods course that I took last semester (I'm an undergraduate). I had a high A average before the final exam, so I've e-mailed the instructor to ask what I received on the final exam (my final exam grade would have had to be almost 20 points lower than my average up to that point to have dropped me down to a B+).

I'm not majoring in the social science field I took the graduate course in (in fact, I'm majoring in a quantitative field), but I hope to get a PhD in the field of the graduate course. Since I'm majoring in a quantitative field and the course was in a quantitative methods course, I'm concerned it will hurt me significantly in the admissions process.

If it comes down to it, is it worth appealing the grade? Though I haven't seen the final exam, I do have concerns that I was assigned a really low grade on the final exam (to legitimate the low overall grade) because I'm an undergraduate. If it's relevant, the course instructor is not tenure track.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I think a B+ in a grad class as an undergrad will be viewed highly, not lowly. Most undergrads don't take grad classes and to do well in one is a good thing. In my opinion, it might even be seen as more impressive or just as impressive as an A in an undergrad class. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Worry about your overall GPA more than any specific class

Often schools will care that you have a degree in the appropriate field, but will not look at what courses you took - and course names/titles are rare to see on transcripts as is. 

I doubt you would be given a lower grade strictly due to being an undergrad, so I'm not sure if the appealing process will be worthwhile.  As a whole though, one class won't make or break you at the B+ level, again, focus on the overall GPA.

A letter of recommendation from this professor would be more valuable than an "A" IMHO.  While it's always worth following up on your finals (tests are ideally learning experiences and not just for evaluation) - I would try to get more from this professor.  If this is your first graduate course in a field you hope to go to graduate school to study - that seems like the more rewarding and exciting thing to discuss with the professor. Sure, check on the grade, but I think that's a second tier priority.