UK vs US Engineering Grad School

enginegeek

Why does phD in engineering take so much longer in US grad school compared to UK? I just read that a DPhil in oxbridge takes about 3 to 4 years while phD in engine. in US take 5 to 6 years?? 

• 1 month later...

In the US the PhD program includes a "de facto" master's degree.  You take master's level courses for the first two years then you do your research for ~2-4 years.  That is why you can go straight to a PhD from a bachelors.  in the UK master's is 2 years, and you must do it before going to PhD.

• 2 weeks later...

Also the number of years in Ph.D can vary. My father finished his Ph.D in 2.5 years after his MS, and my advisor here finished his Ph.D in like 2 years or something.

It really depends on how productive and aggressive you are in your research, and of course luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the US the PhD program includes a "de facto" master's degree.  You take master's level courses for the first two years then you do your research for ~2-4 years.  That is why you can go straight to a PhD from a bachelors.  in the UK master's is 2 years, and you must do it before going to PhD.

In the UK you can jump straight to a 3-year PhD from a Bachelors degree (which also takes only 3 years), a lot of people do it, especially in scientific fields.

And even if you opt for a masters degree, it will only take you 1 year to complete it not 2.