Financial aid

123hardasABC

I completed the FAFSA yesterday. It took much less time than I anticipated. I think that was because, this time, I am filing as an independent so I don't need my parents tax information and also because I have never filed taxes before. Apparently for graduate school, they give out more unsubsidized loans

I started, but for some reason it was having me file one for 2012-2013, not 2014-2015, so I'm halfway through. But it shouldn't take much longer - I am an independendent so I only need my own tax information, and the site just imported it from the IRS. However, I'm not very hopeful for anything except massive piles of interest-accumulating debt.

Hopefully I hear back about scholarships soon from UMich so I don't have to go into so much debt before medical school.

Do you know when we can expect to hear about those? Do they decide after admissions deposits, or would they have been offered alongside your acceptance (i.e. haven't heard anything = no scholarship)?

Do you know when we can expect to hear about those? Do they decide after admissions deposits, or would they have been offered alongside your acceptance (i.e. haven't heard anything = no scholarship)?

I sent admissions an email a month ago and they said that the department of epidemiology notifies applicants of scholarships late Jan/early Feb so hopefully we hear back soon. I haven't heard anything either.

I sent admissions an email a month ago and they said that the department of epidemiology notifies applicants of scholarships late Jan/early Feb so hopefully we hear back soon. I haven't heard anything either.

And here I thought the waiting was over...

Wait, do we fill out FAFSA if we may need to take out college loans? I've never taken out loans for tuition so I'm completely clueless on this.

I think you are supposed to fill out the FAFSA every year unless your parents or you can pay off your respective program without financial assistance in the form of loans/grants from the federal government. I've filled out FAFSA every year but I have accrued some debt in the form of loans. Edited by NeurosciMRI

I think you are supposed to fill out the FAFSA every year unless your parents or you can pay off your respective program without financial assistance in the form of loans/grants from the federal government. I've filled out FAFSA every year but I have accrued some debt in the form of loans.

Wow, had no idea.  I knew hanging around Grad Cafe would come to good use.  Thanks, I'll get this done this weekend!

For those who have started the FAFSA, have you filed your taxes? Whenever I did the FAFSA for undergrad, I needed my taxes done first or I needed to do way more guesswork and update it when I filed. Just curious about the process and whether things have changed.

For those who have started the FAFSA, have you filed your taxes? Whenever I did the FAFSA for undergrad, I needed my taxes done first or I needed to do way more guesswork and update it when I filed. Just curious about the process and whether things have changed.

I just ran into this problem. I went back to complete my FAFSA and realized there was absolutely no way to do it without having already filed taxes, and I can't do those until my employer sends me that thing I need to do (I am a finance guru, as demonstrated by my grasp of the vocabulary). So, that's on hold.