When did you go to Grad School?

Quilly

Hi all,

Totally new here! I've been browsing some topics for a while and thought I'd jump in with a question I've been thinking about.

When did you go to grad school? Right after undergrad? After a year off? More than a year? Just curious.

I'm graduating from undergrad with a BFA in Sculpture in May. I've decided not to try for grad school for the Fall 2014. I don't feel like I'm ready-I want to develop my work, concepts and self more before commiting to a program. So I figured I'd take a year off and do some research into schools, and figure it out from there.

I'm a teacher and did a one-year masters program after working for a year. I was kind of burnt out after undergrad and wanted a break from school/wanted to gain relevant experience.

I graduated in May 2012. Then I took a year off to figure out what I want to do with my life, work, and gather research and volunteer experience. I just finished applying and will start next fall...so in total, I will be taking about 2 years off between my undergraduate and graduate.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I took three years between my undergrad and grad work. I used the time to get some work experience while also doing independent research. I also took the GRE a couple of times to get the score that I wanted. IMO, it is okay to wait for grad school until you believe you are ready. Email some professors, and get an idea for the social environment of institutions you are considering. Maybe some of the professors will even help you with some of your example documents. Good luck!

• 9 months later...