Creative Writing M.F.A (Fiction)

Jufarius87

Hello all! And Thanks in Advance for any help you may post :)

Long Story Short I did well in undergrad at a State University (3.82 gpa, PBK, honors program, etc.) and I've been accepted to a good grad school (Yale) for theology. While Yale is a good fit for now because I plan to pursue ordination but my real passion is writing, especially theologically inspired fiction. I am wondering what the standard applicant looks like for MFA programs in fiction and whether I have a chance.

My stats by the time I would be applying

Undergrad SUNY

GPA 3.82/4 BA Philosophy and Math

Research: Thesis in Philosophy (Ethics)

Honors: Summa, PBK, University and Dept Program

Grad

Yale Divinity

M.Div GPA: ?

Work Exp

U.S. Army (3 yr commitment after Yale)

I guess my worry is that while I've done well in the fields ive studied thus far, I know I cant look like the standard applicant to one of these programs. I have strong humanities background through philosophy, but have only taken one formal english course (grade of A).

• 2 weeks later...

Jufarius,

The good thing about Creative Writing is that there is no cookie-cutter applicant. Most may have a background in English, but Philosophy is not such a far stretch. Take some English/Writing electives while you are at Yale to help beef up your transcript.

But really, the most important thing for a CW applicant is your portfolio. Write, keep writing, and hopefully by the time you apply for your MFA, you will have some good stuff ready to send out.

Good luck waa salaam,

AlHayat

• 10 months later...

Hi, I've applied for the MFA, Creative Writing, prose in WUSTL and the results are supposed to be out by late february. I emailed the beginning of this week and got a reply stating letters would be sent this week. Has anyone out there applied to this course? If yes, any replies or post from WUSTL yet?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everybody!

Some tips regarding creative writing MFA for those who wants to study in UK. MLitt at Stirling University provides a year-long non-teaching alternative to the American originating MFA award. The MLitt in Creative Writing also can serve as the first year of the PhD program. Creative writing mfa is designed to develop the talents of creative individuals, allowing them to focus in-depth on a project while offering them creative encounters with a range of genres and working practices, drawing on Stirling’s rich expertise in contemporary literature, publishing, film, media, and journalism.

Hello all! And Thanks in Advance for any help you may post :)

Long Story Short I did well in undergrad at a State University (3.82 gpa, PBK, honors program, etc.) and I've been accepted to a good grad school (Yale) for theology. While Yale is a good fit for now because I plan to pursue ordination but my real passion is writing, especially theologically inspired fiction. I am wondering what the standard applicant looks like for MFA programs in fiction and whether I have a chance.

My stats by the time I would be applying

Undergrad SUNY

GPA 3.82/4 BA Philosophy and Math

Research: Thesis in Philosophy (Ethics)

Honors: Summa, PBK, University and Dept Program

Grad

Yale Divinity

M.Div GPA: ?

Work Exp

U.S. Army (3 yr commitment after Yale)

I guess my worry is that while I've done well in the fields ive studied thus far, I know I cant look like the standard applicant to one of these programs. I have strong humanities background through philosophy, but have only taken one formal english course (grade of A).

From my experience, creative writing MFA programs look hard at the writing sample. That's all that matters: Writing sample, writing sample, writing sample. Most of them don't even require the GRE. Funding is meager and post-graduation job market is grim. That being said, if you feel you have a strong writing sample, and I mean really strong, then you have a chance. But if you just want to apply to "see if you can get in," then I would stay in your field and continue writing until you feel you have the best possible writing sample to submit. These programs are very competitive. The process of applying is grueling and since it is writing, it can stifle your creativity. To answer your question, they don't regard your undergrad field of study so long as the writing sample is up to par. I hope this helps and I didn't mean to discourage you from applying, just letting you know the reality of these programs. Rejection stings, but you have to get used to it as a writer. :)

From my experience, creative writing MFA programs look hard at the writing sample. That's all that matters: Writing sample, writing sample, writing sample. Most of them don't even require the GRE. Funding is meager and post-graduation job market is grim. That being said, if you feel you have a strong writing sample, and I mean really strong, then you have a chance. But if you just want to apply to "see if you can get in," then I would stay in your field and continue writing until you feel you have the best possible writing sample to submit. These programs are very competitive. The process of applying is grueling and since it is writing, it can stifle your creativity. To answer your question, they don't regard your undergrad field of study so long as the writing sample is up to par. I hope this helps and I didn't mean to discourage you from applying, just letting you know the reality of these programs. Rejection stings, but you have to get used to it as a writer. :)

P.S. I'v only taken one English course too (my undergrad background is in journalism, but my writing sample was all done solo) and I got into Columbia! So don't let that stop you ;)