Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

My University of Toronto status changed online today to "Decision Made" - but I haven't received anything in the mail and the online doesn't tell you. For those who applied - I noticed some folks were getting rejections by mail (which might take a while) - have any of you heard about waitlisting?

At this point, if the decision is made. Call. No reason to draw it out one way or the other.

True - I've had really close relationships with my POIs and they were really enthusiastic - so I've been holding back to give them time to figure things out. Of course if it's an outright rejection, you're right, it's good to just know! Wish all the schools would post the decisions online! :)

hi guys! does anybody know if the harvard accepted have been all notified? maybe by email? or are they only sending rsults on postal service?

It is my understanding that they only send results via snail mail and since they just began popping up recently, we should probably hear back this week.

Much empathy to those dealing with rejections. Last PhD application season I was rejected across the board. Did an MA, applied again, and now have several options. Academia can be a brutal game. 

i had a question....i got an interview at stanford and im waiting for a decision. im getting rejections from most elsewhere - applied to about ten schools. Getting an interview at stanford means i assume that i qualify for a top department but getting an interview only from 1/10 seems so discouraging. Did i just the pick the departments really badly in terms of fit? - i really think its something to with the  fit of my research topic or how i presented it. Or maybe its my experience as I am transitioningg from development programming to anthropology of development in a way. Thomas Blom was on my interview panel and he really seemed to get research proposal - my focus is political anthropology/maritime anthropology in  Pakistan - so its unique for many reasons and very unstudied. and ive been working around my field site for about three years, i dont know what else to do next year if stanford declines...what do i possibly change..?  is it just a hit and miss? guess im getting anxious..and planning the future only way to keep hope intact.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but have you heard of Prof Rizvi at Georgetown? I read an article of his on Islamic youth in hip hop, but I think he also researches political/religious movements in Pakistan. Did you receive any positive feedback from professors that you contacted with your research proposal? Stanford obviously thinks you're qualified enough to consider. That's saying something! I'd be more inclined to think that you fell into the trap I fell into, applying to programs attached to assumed prestige rather than really scrutinizing fit and relying on POI feedback. 

Much empathy to those dealing with rejections. Last PhD application season I was rejected across the board. Did an MA, applied again, and now have several options. Academia can be a brutal game. 

Thanks Coba, I'm hoping that I'll be able to really increase my CV with my MA work. 

Well, the feedback from POI ranged from formal to a bit of enthusiasm - but all said that my topic was of interest and i should apply with the disclaimer that admissions are competitive. Hard to judge anything from that. Nothing too specific. Surprisingly, I havent heard about Prof Rizvi - will look him for sure. Thanks. 

Emailed stanford, so lets see what they say...

I'm so sorry dana. I know you were really hopeful about UCSD. Best of luck with everything, and we're here for any support you might need *hugs*

Thanks sarab! I appreciate all the support everyone has given me. I am going to stay hopeful. This was only my first time applying. I'm going to try and find some archaeological work, hopefully in Peru, and I'm going to try and get something published. That way next year I'll be more competitive. :)

My University of Toronto status changed online today to "Decision Made" - but I haven't received anything in the mail and the online doesn't tell you. For those who applied - I noticed some folks were getting rejections by mail (which might take a while) - have any of you heard about waitlisting?

My status also changed this morning, but I've been waiting for rejections to come in the post since the first round of acceptances went out. It takes forever for letters to get to/from Canada (seriously, I send/receive things from Japan and Korea faster than Canada), so we'll just have to see. I've been kind of hoping that their waiting this long meant I was at least still in the running for something. Who knows, though, maybe they just take ages to update their system.

OK, who wants to call Columbia?  I'm dying to know, but I don't want to reach out since I already updated them about a scholarship in January.  I know you guys want to know also!

I didn't apply, but I'm willing to do it -- I'll doubt they'll even look to confirm I'm an applicant.  I've taught here for a few years, maybe if I email from my school email account they'd be inclined to answer?  

I didn't apply, but I'm willing to do it -- I'll doubt they'll even look to confirm I'm an applicant.  I've taught here for a few years, maybe if I email from my school email account they'd be inclined to answer?  

Well, it would make you a hero, so there's that...

Alright, guys, not too much to report.  All I could get out of the (very polite) administrator was that the admissions committee met last week.  She was unable to confirm whether all acceptances were already sent out, and she was not sure when all decisions would be sent.

Not very helpful, I know.  I am hoping that the delay is because they are figuring out how to best word their acceptances to you.  

Alright, guys, not too much to report.  All I could get out of the (very polite) administrator was that the admissions committee met last week.  She was unable to confirm whether all acceptances were already sent out, and she was not sure when all decisions would be sent.

Not very helpful, I know.  I am hoping that the delay is because they are figuring out how to best word their acceptances to you.  

Thanks!  That is actually very helpful.  There were 2 unclaimed acceptances on the results board last week, so now we know they are probably real.  oh well.

Anyone claiming History and Anthro at UMich? I was told everyone would be notified by the first week of March but I believe both admits and rejects have been sent out last week. I haven't heard a thing. I am assuming that is a no. :-)