Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Just FYI on the Stanford tip: one of my favorite profs in the world is there. I contacted this prof before application season and was told Stanford only accepts people with an MA in hand.

Prof was nice & recommended a good MA program, but alas, I didn't apply for that reason. Not sure if you have a BA or MA so thought I'd throw that in there.

Just FYI on the Stanford tip: one of my favorite profs in the world is there. I contacted this prof before application season and was told Stanford only accepts people with an MA in hand.

Prof was nice & recommended a good MA program, but alas, I didn't apply for that reason. Not sure if you have a BA or MA so thought I'd throw that in there.

Man, I wish my POI said that to me. Would've saved me a whole lot of time, energy, and monies. :wacko: I could say a few other things right now, but I'll be nice. <_<

Also, I just looked through their graduate student bios and almost half of their current students got in with only a bachelors. Many of the others had non-anthropology masters. It's so odd that your poi would have told you not to apply for that reason. Maybe that particular professor prefers to take students who have a master's in hand?

Edited by archaeostudent1231

Interesting. Well just relating my personal experience. Yes, perhaps it is odd that my POI told me that, but it completely turned me off from Stanford. And that was somewhere I really wanted to go, too.

Or perhaps there's some differentiation between their MA & PhD program, since they also offer a terminal MA. Maybe undergrads are getting into the MA and not straight to the PhD?

Edited by eriatarka

Got my official NYU rejection, despite hearing from my adviser in person a couple weeks ago.  Frankly, offended by the form email.  I don't think that's appropriate when dealing with current students or employees.

You don't have to believe me, but all NYU offers have gone out anyway.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Also, I just looked through their graduate student bios and almost half of their current students got in with only a bachelors. Many of the others had non-anthropology masters. It's so odd that your poi would have told you not to apply for that reason. Maybe that particular professor prefers to take students who have a master's in hand?

You don't know what the whole story is really- they could have been in the field after undergrad, or done some sort of work experience that was equivalent to the experience of a Masters, but after seeing the rejections from my friend last year and his acceptances this year, reading the history on the boards- it is definitely rare to get into a top funded PHD program in Anthropology especially social/cultural at top programs without the MA or experience equivalent to an MA. If schools would be honest about that then applicants would approach the process differently.  

You don't know what the whole story is really- they could have been in the field after undergrad, or done some sort of work experience that was equivalent to the experience of a Masters, but after seeing the rejections from my friend last year and his acceptances this year, reading the history on the boards- it is definitely rare to get into a top funded PHD program in Anthropology especially social/cultural at top programs without the MA or experience equivalent to an MA. If schools would be honest about that then applicants would approach the process differently.  

It depends on the program.  I know, for example, that NYU sociocultural prefers students without MA degrees.   Last year only 2/8 of the new cohort had MA degrees.

As someone who knows absoltutely nothing about the U.S. application process, I probably shouldn't chime in here, but I think some of you are missing a key point: as many people have said all over these boards, the most important characteristic is overall fit with a program, which is likely evaluated through a number of factors that change from year to year. If schools had hard and fast rules (or "preferences") for previous research experience or degrees, then they couldn't pick the students who fit best with their current program needs. NYU sociocultural may have chosen 6/8 students directly from undergrad last year, but they could choose 5/8 students with M.A.s (and two with MPHs, and one with a M.Sc.) next year.

My point is this: all this speculation is useful when trying to construct a solid application, but don't let heresay about prior experience prevent you from applying somewhere where you genuinely believe you will be a good fit. 

My point is this: all this speculation is useful when trying to construct a solid application, but don't let heresay about prior experience prevent you from applying somewhere where you genuinely believe you will be a good fit. 

Well, of course it is about fit, but individual departments do express preferences one way or another, and this is not just always a historically-driven assumption. My statement about NYU is fact -- they prefer to train students themselves.  I am sure that goes for other departments as well.

The MA/BA debate is ongoing.  There is a poll over in the Philosophy board that I think could be helpful here too where people are marking outcomes and degree statuses...

Well, of course it is about fit, but individual departments do express preferences one way or another, and this is not just always a historically-driven assumption. My statement about NYU is fact -- they prefer to train students themselves.  I am sure that goes for other departments as well.

The MA/BA debate is ongoing.  There is a poll over in the Philosophy board that I think could be helpful here too where people are marking outcomes and degree statuses...

....interesting....

I stand corrected. Thanks NOWAYNOHOW. :)

Would anyone consider doing something similar for anthro?  Is there a thread buried on these boards that indicates preferences for particular schools, or is it just "common knowledge" across most American schools? I'm asking because I'm doing a M.A. in Canada this year, but hope to apply internationally for my PhD next year.

Sorry about NYU everyone! *hugs* 

Thanks, Sarab. I was beginning to be turned off by the cost of living in New York City, anyway...I just feel glad to have closure and be done with the waiting with them. Until I saw the slew of rejection notices that were just posted for Harvard... the fun never ends  :)

Anyone want to claim Rutgers acceptance?  Subfield?

That was me. Cultural and a lurker here. Hi everyone!

Waitlisted for Princeton, and NYU. Rejected from Columbia. Interviewed at Yale and awaiting decision.

That was me. Cultural and a lurker here. Hi everyone!

Waitlisted for Princeton, and NYU. Rejected from Columbia. Interviewed at Yale and awaiting decision.

Wow - impressive! Congrats!