Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

That's great, congrats! What subfield? With which professor would you be working?

I wasn't surprised to be rejected from IU myself. Kentucky is a great school. It's between that and OSU for me now.

Political ecology/ sociocultural environmental anthro with Lisa Cliggett! How about you??

I'm from Ohio, and know a bunch of people who go to OSU. I don't know anyone who has anything bad to say about the school, so you've got two very stellar options.

Political ecology/ sociocultural environmental anthro with Lisa Cliggett! How about you??

I'm from Ohio, and know a bunch of people who go to OSU. I don't know anyone who has anything bad to say about the school, so you've got two very stellar options.

Just got back from DOPE last night. Kentucky is a great school and has a vibrant community surrounding political ecology (even if there are relatively few political ecologists there!)

I just called Columbia because I was feeling gutsy. The anthro department said they just gave their admission notices to the grad school to send out themselves either Friday or today. So we should hear this week about Columbia. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...

I just called Columbia because I was feeling gutsy. The anthro department said they just gave their admission notices to the grad school to send out themselves either Friday or today. So we should hear this week about Columbia. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...

I want to be optimistic, but I feel like if the grad school is sending, the only thing they are sending is bad news.  My understanding is that the department sends good news.

BUT WHO KNOWS?  Let's keep the hope alive.

Just got a very nice email from Memorial University in Newfoundland that they're recommending me for admission, it was really sweet and gave the names of my adviser and committee who are all my POIs.

Yes, I kind of want to move out there because it's so remote and strange and such a unique landscape! And because they have great funding packages - but waiting to hear what mine is.

Just got a very nice email from Memorial University in Newfoundland that they're recommending me for admission, it was really sweet and gave the names of my adviser and committee who are all my POIs.

Yes, I kind of want to move out there because it's so remote and strange and such a unique landscape! And because they have great funding packages - but waiting to hear what mine is.

i'm now going to investigate...  Congrats btw.

I have a friend who started a PhD at MUN last year, she LOVES it!!!

I want to be optimistic, but I feel like if the grad school is sending, the only thing they are sending is bad news.  My understanding is that the department sends good news.

BUT WHO KNOWS?  Let's keep the hope alive.

It sounds like they haven't told anyone yet? That's what the secretary said anyways. There isn't anything posted on the results board for Columbia yet (that I'm going to believe, considering the department said they hadn't released anything, and some of them said they heard a month ago or something). 

Yale, I'm feeling it's pretty safe to say that there's a nice rejection letter coming my way.

It sounds like they haven't told anyone yet? That's what the secretary said anyways. There isn't anything posted on the results board for Columbia yet (that I'm going to believe, considering the department said they hadn't released anything, and some of them said they heard a month ago or something). 

Yale, I'm feeling it's pretty safe to say that there's a nice rejection letter coming my way.

It's funny, they told me that my application was still under consideration and I'd know by mid March.  This is what I was told today.  I'm taking it to mean that I was rejected for the PhD, but I know they offer the MA. Such is the story of my application season. 

Edited by Forsaken in LA

I was wait listed at Rutgers!  :)  I am so excited to have gotten an answer other than "NO!"  There is hope for this cycle, though told not to expect anything for a few weeks, but to keep an eye out.  I tried to get a little more info re: wait list in general and what I can do to improve my chances (there was some talk of securing my own funding, so I'll be getting a metal detector and hitting the beach I guess) and I will let you know if I hear anything else useful. 

ETA: Rutgers maintains a ranked wait list of 5, which I'm not on. The next batch is unranked, and that is unfortunately where I am, though a POI did tell me they do regularly admit beyond the ranked list.  They also only admit students that are fully funded, so there goes my digging for change plan.  Hope that helps!

You are totally right, and I feel exactly the same way about Yale.  UGH!

It's funny, they told me that my application was still under consideration and I'd know by mid March.  This is what I was told today.  I'm taking it to mean that I was rejected for the PhD, but I know they offer the MA. Such is the story of my application season. 

We all got such different responses!  I mean, my POI told me she couldn't say anything and they were still deliberating.  In my dreams, I guess. 

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

I was wait listed at Rutgers!  :)  I am so excited to have gotten an answer other than "NO!"  There is hope, though told not to expect anything for a few weeks, but to keep an eye out.  I tried to get a little more info re: wait list in general and what I can do to improve my chances (there was some talk of securing my own funding, so I will be getting a metal detector and hitting the beach I guess) so I will let you know if I hear anything else useful. 

Congratulations NOWAYNOHOW! I've been following you on the boards and through your blog and no how awful and hard this whole application season has been for you. I'm glad that you've finally gotten an answer other than "NO" and I really wish you the best of luck!

One thing that Grad Center does, also, is admit students who can pay their own way. So, they will ask you if you can afford to just pay, and historically have even made admission offers to people because they knew that student wouldn't need any aid. So, it's possible that those other students have other scholarships, grants, or just come from money. Or they expressed a willingness to go into crazy debt...

I'm curious about how this works. It's not my situation, but I've wondered how the applicant and department come to an arrangement (through a comment box in the application? Over email?) and what the consequences are for the dynamic of the cohort, etc. 

From my experience, successful applicants are in pretty close touch with POIs there - they visit, talk on the phone, email, have lots of conversations and really get to know the applicants they're interested in. Not all, but especially those whose situations need that kind of teasing out - like those with money. Students also say to the POI: "I can pay, I'm willing to come without funding" - and that can be factored in.

Despite great solidarity on other issues, a lot of students maintain that strange silence about funding - just like how corporate work places don't want people to talk about salaries so they can get away with paying people as little as possible to keep them there. So many times students don't know that the person next to them in class is paying out of pocket, or that the one across from them got 2x the stipend.

We can reverse that trend, of course, and make it more transparent. (little revolutions!)

I'm curious about how this works. It's not my situation, but I've wondered how the applicant and department come to an arrangement (through a comment box in the application? Over email?) and what the consequences are for the dynamic of the cohort, etc. 

This also may mean students who have been awarded outside funding (like the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship which provides recipients full tuition and stipend for 3 years of grad school, the Ford Fellowship and others). I had a school call me to ask if I'd heard back from the NSF fellowship about my application yet (which I have not). So schools who know they can't fund everyone may be looking for students who have won one of these external fellowships.

Unfortunately a lot of those fellowships (like the EPA STAR fellowship and the Javits fellowship) have been discontinued in the last year or two, and I don't think most schools realize this. Some of my apps had a box to check if you had applied to the Javits Fellowship and I just wanted to write "That'd be impossible!" but I refrained...

Anyways, sorry about that rant, but what I meant to say was I don't think students being awarded outside funding would change the dynamics of the cohort much, but it is an interesting way that they're going about working this out. I've heard of other schools who navigate this by offering all accepted students funding and then encouraging or requiring everyone to apply to outside funding during their first year.

Yea it

This also may mean students who have been awarded outside funding (like the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship which provides recipients full tuition and stipend for 3 years of grad school, the Ford Fellowship and others). I had a school call me to ask if I'd heard back from the NSF fellowship about my application yet (which I have not). So schools who know they can't fund everyone may be looking for students who have won one of these external fellowships.

Unfortunately a lot of those fellowships (like the EPA STAR fellowship and the Javits fellowship) have been discontinued in the last year or two, and I don't think most schools realize this. Some of my apps had a box to check if you had applied to the Javits Fellowship and I just wanted to write "That'd be impossible!" but I refrained...

Anyways, sorry about that rant, but what I meant to say was I don't think students being awarded outside funding would change the dynamics of the cohort much, but it is an interesting way that they're going about working this out. I've heard of other schools who navigate this by offering all accepted students funding and then encouraging or requiring everyone to apply to outside funding during their first year.

It is rough that the NSF announces so late in this process as, if one were to win, it would probably make a big difference in the admissions process. I'm waiting to hear about that as well and while I doubt I'll get it......it would be nice, right? haha

Edited by daykid

Ha! I've run into that Javits issue too - and others.. even school web sites that tell you to apply for these things that don't exist anymore...

I can't remember if I've mentioned it, but I found out I'm depending on a single, specific person to decline their offer at UW. I have a good shot, right? *nervous laugh* *implodes*

Any other waitlisted folk hear any news? My top choice MA program wants to hear from me by the middle of this month, but I suspect I won't hear back from all my schools until the veeery last minute...

Any other waitlisted folk hear any news? My top choice MA program wants to hear from me by the middle of this month, but I suspect I won't hear back from all my schools until the veeery last minute...

Are MA programs allowed to pressure you to answer before April 15? Doesn't seem fair

I can't remember if I've mentioned it, but I found out I'm depending on a single, specific person to decline their offer at UW. I have a good shot, right? *nervous laugh* *implodes*

The MA program I was accepted to also wanted to be notified before April 15. Wonder why that is...