Last minute Letter of Recommendation

Does anybody know if it's fairly common for a professor to wait until the very last minute to write a letter of recommendation? I asked my professor back in October, turned in everything she asked for right away, and yet have not heard a thing from her. I have sent two to three emails, to which I have had no reply. I am thinking that perhaps once the semester starts on Monday that she will come through, but I am also afraid that she won't. I once proved the professor wrong on something, and I'm afraid that I got on her bad side, but I thought we were simply having a discussion. Plus, she could have easily said no. I don't really think she would sabotage my chances of getting into grad school, but I am so scared!

I've had this experience so many times... But they've always come through at the last minute.

It's good that you're only at the point of wondering if you annoyed her - I usually get to the point where I'm wondering if they died.

When is your letter due? And do you have another email address you can use? (something still professional sounding) If so, i would email again to make sure that your previous emails, especially the one with your materials like SOP and CV, etc. didn't get lost in spam.

I don't know if it is common or not, but I can tell you that this just happened to me, so you're not alone!

One of my application deadlines was January 3rd, and even though I had notified one of my recommendation letter providers back in November (and provided the necessary resources), she didn't upload the letter of recommendation until the date of the deadline (this Friday, Jan. 3)! Granted, she had already submitted a letter of recommendation that was due Dec. 1st (so it isn't like she waited until the very last minute to write it), but she nonetheless waited until almost the last possible minute to upload it -- both times!

Understandably (I think), this made me very nervous, so I sent her one or two reminders using the online applications (there is usually a "send reminder" button on online applications for your recommendation providers). Then, a day or two before the deadline, I also sent her an email and made sure that the title of the email explicitly (but professionally) reminded her what the deadline for a certain letter of recommendation was. She thankfully replied soon after and uploaded the letter just in time! Turns out she hadn't actually noticed the reminder sent through the application, but she did take note of my email. I assume this might be because the title was a clear, succinct reminder in itself.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you've said in your emails to her so far, but if it wouldn't be too redundant, I would suggest sending another email that is a very simple and straightforward (and professional) reminder, and makes it clear in the title of the email. It seems like some people either don't read every email and might expect to get the gist of it in the title, or they might be swamped with emails so your communication with them might have to be clear and to the point in order to get their attention.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I've had this experience so many times... But they've always come through at the last minute.

It's good that you're only at the point of wondering if you annoyed her - I usually get to the point where I'm wondering if they died.

When is your letter due? And do you have another email address you can use? (something still professional sounding) If so, i would email again to make sure that your previous emails, especially the one with your materials like SOP and CV, etc. didn't get lost in spam.

If they died? lol

I don't know if this is true at every school, but last year one of my professors didn't submit her LOI until a WEEK after the deadline! I emailed the graduate coordinator and got a very kind response stating that because it was out of my control, they would hold my application for review until they received the letter. I did only get wait listed, but I was under the impression that it didn't adversely affect my application. Good luck, it drives me nuts when we are left hanging for LORs! 

Edited by DeafAudi

Perhaps we are not choosing people who knows us really well for rec letters.  The person must know you very well and must be very willing to write it without hesitations. It is my first time applying, but all my references were on time.  One completed mine on October 14, the second one completed it on Nov. 2nd, the third on Dec. 28.  I was getting worried about the last one completed on Dec. 28th as well.  But thankfully he came through for me.

I actually went by her office and spoke to her today, and she apologized and let me know that mine was at the top of her pile. No hesitations or forgetfulness on her part, just a busy schedule! I am so relieved! It's all so stressful! Trying my best not to officially freak out.

DeafAudi, a week late is terrible! At least the school was understanding. I have heard that many will still accept some materials, like letters, after the deadline. However, definitely best not to take chances!