recommendation submission after application due date

Hi,

SIPA has it application due date on 6 jan and SAIS has its on 7 Jan.  One of my recommenders may not be able to send the LOR by these dates. Does it affect the application in any regard.

Please advise.

Hi,

SIPA has it application due date on 6 jan and SAIS has its on 7 Jan.  One of my recommenders may not be able to send the LOR by these dates. Does it affect the application in any regard.

Please advise.

Some schools are strict with their deadlines, while others are more lenient if you ask them beforehand. Therefore, I would suggest that you send an email asap explaining your situation. However, keep in mind that if you haven't already done so, it might take them a couple of days to reply. Also, while it might take some courage to 'pressure' recommenders, this is about your future and won't hurt to try to get them to submit the LoRs by the deadline. Good luck!

OMG, SIPA is 6th? I thought it was in february? Explain!

SIPA has two deadlines. January 6th is if you want to be considered for fellowships, February is if you don't want to be considered for fellowships.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my two recommendations for NYU Wagner didn't ever submit theirs and I was still accepted.

Still, I know some schools, like UNC, explicitly state that they will refuse to even look at your application without everything there. I would write admissions.

I am in the same boat, one of mine came in the day late (I don't get why they make the deadlines when during the holidays/weekends), and one is now 3 days late.

I had a similar dilemma with my application to LBJ a few days ago (on the 5th). Of course, I naturally freaked out -- since those admissions sites make their deadline seem firmly set-in-stone. I emailed them and asked if it was okay to turn in an LOR a few days late, to which they said yes.

Point being: Most public affairs schools probably allow for late materials. If anything, a late LOR looks better than a late application, GRE, or transcript (since it's the only part of the application you don't directly control). Email the admissions director as soon as possible; you won't know for sure until you hear from them.