Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

You're considering accepting Cincinnati over Arizona? Interesting. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that! I'd think that the pull of a top 15 program would be too strong...especially if you have a good faculty fit with Arizona profs and you would like to live in the region, etc.

Edited by TheVineyard

You're considering accepting Cincinnati over Arizona? Interesting. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that! I'd think that the pull of a top 15 program would be too strong...especially if you have a good faculty fit with Arizona profs and you would like to live in the region, etc.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.................

If you want to make philosophy a career.... going to Cincinatti would be career suicide compared to Arizona.

I have no idea where I'm going to choose. I want to keep my options open and visit as many schools as possible to get a feel for where the best fit would be.

Fit, schmit.  Don't by coy, Caroline.  If you're smart enough to get into Arizona, then you know the Cincinnati offer is just a free trip to Cincinnati.  You scored the wait-list, so that's your right.  But nobody's believing that you're seriously entertaining that offer.

Sarcastically and condescendingly yours,

Ianfaircloud :)

Fit, schmit.  Don't by coy, Caroline.  If you're smart enough to get into Arizona, then you know the Cincinnati offer is just a free trip to Cincinnati.  You scored the wait-list, so that's your right.  But nobody's believing that you're seriously entertaining that offer.

I guess the sarcasm part didn't come through for some.  So for those who don't get sarcasm, I think it's totally legit to entertain offers that are lower on the list.  Everybody knows that working with a particular person is more important than getting a degree with a particular department.  So if there's someone who Caroline has in mind to work with at Cincinnati, then by all means she should keep the option open. 

Also, while I'm talking in my serious voice, multiple offers can also help a person negotiate in the final stages.  So it would be a terrible idea at this stage to tell Cincinnati, "No way, I'm going to Arizona."

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.................

If you want to make philosophy a career.... going to Cincinatti would be career suicide compared to Arizona.

Well to be fair, Cincinnati is going to be ranked easily in the top 5-8 programs for philosophy of biology when the next rankings come out due to their many senior hires in the field, whereas Arizona won't have almost anything for philosophy of biology. However, I agree that if you want to do ANYTHING else, stringing Cincinnati along and making them pay for your airfare/travel/lodging costs is a bit cruel because...surely it isn't the best option.

I'm not really concerned who's believing what I say. I'm sincerely interested in fit whether anyone else is or not.

This forum has the potential to be an actual space for mutual support and a place where people can voice their thoughts to a sympathetic audience. So far the vibe I've gotten since my first post has mostly been critical and scathing. I think that's a shame and although I know we're all under an immeasurable amount of stress, making each other feel shitty isn't helping anyone. I hope this changes.

I guess the sarcasm part didn't come through for some.  So for those who don't get sarcasm, I think it's totally legit to entertain offers that are lower on the list.  Everybody knows that working with a particular person is more important than getting a degree with a particular department.  So if there's someone who Caroline has in mind to work with at Cincinnati, then by all means she should keep the option open. 

Also, while I'm talking in my serious voice, multiple offers can also help a person negotiate in the final stages.  So it would be a terrible idea at this stage to tell Cincinnati, "No way, I'm going to Arizona."

Glad you clarified your position, I agree and appreciate it :)

Well to be fair, Cincinnati is going to be ranked easily in the top 5-8 programs for philosophy of biology when the next rankings come out due to their many senior hires in the field, whereas Arizona won't have almost anything for philosophy of biology. However, I agree that if you want to do ANYTHING else, stringing Cincinnati along and making them pay for your airfare/travel/lodging costs is a bit cruel because...surely it isn't the best option.

This is such a good discussion.  I have to disagree a little bit here, Vineyard.  I get where you're coming from, but see my post, above.  Though I'm not fortunate enough to be in the situation of Caroline, a good friend of mine has been admitted to 4 of 4 so far, including two top-20s, a 30-range, and a 40-range (?).  She's keeping her options open on account of the reasons I give above.  I get your point, but I guess I disagree a bit.

I'm not really concerned who's believing what I say. I'm sincerely interested in fit whether anyone else is or not.

This forum has the potential to be an actual space for mutual support and a place where people can voice their thoughts to a sympathetic audience. So far the vibe I've gotten since my first post has mostly been critical and scathing. I think that's a shame and although I know we're all under an immeasurable amount of stress, making each other feel shitty isn't helping anyone. I hope this changes.

I think people are just very surprised that someone would consider turning down a top 15 philosophy program (that you identified as one of your top choices) for a Leiter-unranked program with only a couple very narrow focuses that you did not specify as central areas of interest for you. Nobody is saying you are wrong, I mean, it's your choice, but its a bit of a headscratcher. It is particularly surprising to me because I am a perfect, like-a-glove fit at Cincinnati, but I can't see myself accepting that offer over a #44 school, much less #15.

Edited by TheVineyard

Glad you clarified your position, I agree and appreciate it :)

Again, I want to say that I think this is a great discussion.  One other point I'd like to make.  I think Vineyard's point holds in the case that we're nearing the April 15 deadline.  I think at that stage it's generally irresponsible to have a lot of schools waiting for one's final decision.  If possible, the narrowing-down ought to happen before then.  Obviously it could really hurt a department and other applicants to wait to the last minute.  That's just courteous and respectful.  I'm hopeful that most people who are bright enough to land multiple offers will also recognize this.

Again, I want to say that I think this is a great discussion.  One other point I'd like to make.  I think Vineyard's point holds in the case that we're nearing the April 15 deadline.  I think at that stage it's generally irresponsible to have a lot of schools waiting for one's final decision.  If possible, the narrowing-down ought to happen before then.  Obviously it could really hurt a department and other applicants to wait to the last minute.  That's just courteous and respectful.  I'm hopeful that most people who are bright enough to land multiple offers will also recognize this.

Of course, fully agreed. I turned down my U Conn offer last week for this very reason.

Of course, fully agreed. I turned down my U Conn offer last week for this very reason.

Now I'm confused! XD

Anyway, good luck to everyone. Here's to all of us getting in to our top school and rejected everywhere else so its an easy decision and we feel no regret!

Edited by TheVineyard

Ranking isn't the only consideration, y'all, especially for women applicants. There are top schools that are totally inhospitable for gender, racial, or sexual minorities, and sometimes you're only in a position to discover that by visiting them.

I am not trying to say that these are carolinebk's considerations. What I am saying is that the way in which this doesn't even occur to some of you is pretty telling, and indicative of your privilege.  

For transparency's sake, I'm a woman and a sexual minority who has offers from both a top-15 and a lower-ranked school, and both are live options for me as I carefully assess climate and fit. 

That's legit.  Damn, you sound awesome.  

Different subject, slightly: Maybe people could indicate in their signatures something like, (TD), for "turned down".  That's helpful information, too.  Or (Passed), for "passed on the offer".  There's no convention for this, but I'm suggesting it.

Ranking isn't the only consideration, y'all, especially for women applicants. There are top schools that are totally inhospitable for gender, racial, or sexual minorities, and sometimes you're only in a position to discover that by visiting them.

I am not trying to say that these are carolinebk's considerations. What I am saying is that the way in which this doesn't even occur to some of you is pretty telling, and indicative of your privilege.  

For transparency's sake, I'm a woman and a sexual minority who has offers from both a top-15 and a lower-ranked school, and both are live options for me as I carefully assess climate and fit. 

Woops.  Yeah, I should have thought of that.  And I should have mentioned it in my post.  That's a painfully obvious oversight on my part.  But yes, absolutely, I agree.

And maybe if people paid more attention to this, we would have fewer problems like these among our departments....!!!!  

Edited by ianfaircloud

I am not trying to say that these are carolinebk's considerations. What I am saying is that the way in which this doesn't even occur to some of you is pretty telling, and indicative of your privilege.

Well said!

Woops. Yeah, I should have thought of that. And I should have mentioned it in my post. That's a painfully obvious oversight on my part. But yes, absolutely, I agree.

And maybe if people paid more attention to this, we would have fewer problems like these among our departments....!!!!

Fully agreed!

I find that I am not too bothered by the wait for results from thus-far silent departments. The killer is lag between first round acceptances and the rest. There is somewhere I dearly want to go, and theoretically should have a good chance with (I was waitlisted last year and have a much stronger application now). They have clearly admitted some (those up for the fellowship), but I've seen no word on the other acceptances nor a waitlist and it burns!

Edited by AquinasDuo

I find that I am not too bothered by the wait for results from thus-far silent departments. The killer is lag between first round acceptances and the rest. There is somewhere I dearly want to go, and theoretically should have a good chance with (I was waitlisted last year and have a much stronger application now). They have clearly admitted some (those up for the fellowship), but I've seen no word on the other acceptances nor a waitlist and it burns!

I'm guessing Duke or UC Riverside. 

Take the lag as a sign of having reason to keep hope alive.

However, I agree that if you want to do ANYTHING else, stringing Cincinnati along and making them pay for your airfare/travel/lodging costs is a bit cruel because...surely it isn't the best option.

I suspect they'd want her to visit if she's still considering the offer, even if she was leaning against it at this point. 

Probably an inappropriate time-waster for this particular thread, but here's some unsettling news that might interest female Northwestern applicants: http://dailynorthwestern.com/2014/02/10/campus/report-student-sues-northwestern-claiming-sexual-harassment-complaints-ignored/