Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

It's a snow day today (and possibly tomorrow) from work... I literally have nothing to do today, and this wait is going to be excruciating!!!

You should just hope that your power goes out then. Mine probably will sometime today, and then I'll get to read Nietzsche by candlelight, which is pretty sweet. 

I hope the snow days don't slow this process down.

I doubt it will slow down the Northeast much at all. Most northeastern and midwestern schools won't cancel unless there is a foot of snow or more. However, I do know that many businesses (and probably, then, schools) are shutting down in the south.

Edited by TheVineyard

I doubt it will slow down the Northeast much at all. Most northeastern and midwestern schools won't cancel unless there is a foot of snow or more. However, I do know that many businesses (and probably, then, schools) are shutting down in the south.

A lot of places in PA are closing now. I've got almost 6 inches of snow outside my window right now, and the snow isn't supposed to stop until Friday morning. So if you're applying to somewhere in PA (or Jersey I believe) I'd expect this to delay things a little.

My website account for the ND App says nothing new.....where should it says status of the application? I just have Application Status: Submitted. Is this a good/bad sign? (And can you tell the stress is so bad I can barely type?) :) And I second Weltgeists question.

My website account for the ND App says nothing new.....where should it says status of the application? I just have Application Status: Submitted. Is this a good/bad sign? (And can you tell the stress is so bad I can barely type?) :) And I second Weltgeists question.

Check below all of that stuff.  Should say something about a notification ready be viewed (or something to that effect).

in the past has Notre Dame send out all their acceptances at this point or are these just an initial cut?

Not sure.  If you didn't receive an email telling you to check the website, then there are several possibilities.  One, the system hasn't sent it yet.  May take awhile to send all of them.  Two, the department is rejecting in chunks.  That just seems unlikely; it sounds very inefficient.  My application wouldn't have been an *easy* one to reject, frankly.  So there's no reason for efficiency's sake to reject in chunks, as far as I can tell.  Three, you are wait-listed or accepted.

Edit: What I mean by "easy" is this: There are some apps that are easier to reject: lower numbers, sloppy writing, unknown undergrads and letter-writers, etc.  I could understand a department making a quick, first cut on the basis of these factors *and* sending out a first round of eliminations.  I don't think that's what happened here.  My numbers are strong, went to a top MA, etc.  I tend to think this is good news for people who didn't receive an email today.  But see my post below, regarding delays in email processing...

Edited by ianfaircloud

This is all I have (names and profs and school changed obviously to protect the innocent): 

• APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED 
      • Submitted Date: 12/3/2013 5:29:00 PM EST
    • Application Status: Completed on 12/9/2013 2:15:00 PM
    • Application Fee: Received
    • Recommendations: Complete
      • Professor A (Online): Submitted on 9/21/2013
      • Prof B (Online): Submitted on 12/9/2013
      • Professor C (Online): Submitted on 8/29/2013
    • Transcripts:
      • Random College: Received (Not Official)
    • Test Scores:
      • GRE Subject: Waived
      • GRE: Received (Official)
      • IELTS: Not Applicable
      • TOEFL: Not Applicable
    • Other Supporting Documents:
  • Additional Upload: Not Applicable
  • CV: Received (Official)
  • Personal Statement: Received (Official)
  • Writing Sample: Received (Official)

If you have a status update, there will be a link at the very bottom of the page when you log in. Hope your luck is better than mine. On the bright side, I get to drink out of depression for one more night.

Thanks all for your wisdom! I'm hopeful based on what Ian faircloud's point is and am rather surprised I didn't get cut immediately. Needless to say, I'll be compulsively checking it for the rest of the week. Dgswain, best of luck to you in the rest of your apps. I wouldn't be surprised if my own rejection came in later today!

EDIT: Regarding your point about unknown undergrads, Ian Faircloud, my undergrad was very much unknown so I'm expecting a cut. 

Edited by philosophia14

I may be the only one obsessing about this, but looking in the past gcafe records, ND sent out a set of rejections in late February AFTER the original rejections. Maybe this was the rejecting of those who didn't make the final cut? Thoughts?