Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I'm afraid it won't be particularly helpful to you, but here's the email I got:

Dear [First name] (if I may),

I write briefly on behalf of the philosophy department at Notre Dame to offer you admission to our PhD program in philosophy. I'm hoping that we can talk on the phone, to discuss particulars of the support package and the possibility of a campus visit; could you please send me a number at which I can reach you, as well as a sense of when it might be convenient to call? (I'm afraid I am traveling; I will try to get hold of you this week, though it may not be until early next week.)

In any case I hope this message finds you well; I look forward to talking to you soon.

best,

Sean

lol. Yep. Got the exact same email.

I was just admitted to Notre Dame! So pumped! Sean Kelsey told me (via email) that I was admitted and wants to schedule a time to chat on the phone about my support package and the possibility of a campus visit. Splendid!!!

Nice, I didn't know you applied there but I was pulling for you. Congrats!

Everybody knows that fit plays an important role in admission. But what exactly counts as a good fit? Suppose I am interested *only* in medical ethics, and there is *only" one professor in my department of interest  who specializes in medical ethics and who takes PhD student (that is, the department is not very strong in medical ethics). I want to work with her. Would this be a good fit? (Of course, if a person has also interest in other areas of philosophy besides his primary interest in medical ethics, he would be a better fit than mine. But let's put aside this.)

Edited by Platonist

Does anyone find it odd that we haven't heard anything more from Michigan? Of course, not everyone accepted (or perhaps even waitlisted) uses gradcafe, but historically there have been more than 2 posts, and the waitlists and acceptances have come fairly close together. I wonder if their admissions are just being handled differently this season, or if the posts made on the GC about Michigan are/were accurate?

I am claiming the Syracuse acceptance in case it looks suspicious standing alone. I was really thrilled.

Also claiming one of Notre Dame accepts.

Congrats to MIT admits and other Notre Dame admits/wait-lists!

Thanks for the help!

I'm afraid it won't be particularly helpful to you, but here's the email I got:

Dear [First name] (if I may),

I write briefly on behalf of the philosophy department at Notre Dame to offer you admission to our PhD program in philosophy. I'm hoping that we can talk on the phone, to discuss particulars of the support package and the possibility of a campus visit; could you please send me a number at which I can reach you, as well as a sense of when it might be convenient to call? (I'm afraid I am traveling; I will try to get hold of you this week, though it may not be until early next week.)

In any case I hope this message finds you well; I look forward to talking to you soon.

best,

Sean

It's super generous of you to share this information, and congrats for the offer (and felicitations to the rest of you folks celebrating tonight). 

I will drink for the disappointed, and hope that better days are awaiting us all. 

Does anyone find it odd that we haven't heard anything more from Michigan? Of course, not everyone accepted (or perhaps even waitlisted) uses gradcafe, but historically there have been more than 2 posts, and the waitlists and acceptances have come fairly close together. I wonder if their admissions are just being handled differently this season, or if the posts made on the GC about Michigan are/were accurate?

I was concerned about this, too and in desperation I emailed the department last week. They said that "decisions will be made by March 15". So that was super non-committal, but helpful in that I think they are not done. I am not impugning anyone's honor here and I'm not going to guess at whether the admits that were posted were real or not. But there is stil hope.

But probably not for me. Not with the way things have been going.

Congrats to all the admits!

My Michigan admit was real, and I can confirm that first round picks aren't done yet. (Which I didn't know when I posted to TGC!)

So far I'm 4/4: Yale, UNC, Michigan, and MIT, but I'll likely be declining my UNC offer tomorrow so that someone else will get to visit.

I was just admitted to Notre Dame! So pumped! Sean Kelsey told me (via email) that I was admitted and wants to schedule a time to chat on the phone about my support package and the possibility of a campus visit. Splendid!!!

Congrats, DHD!!!!

Edited by ungerdrag

My Michigan admit was real, and I can confirm that first round picks aren't done yet. (Which I didn't know when I posted to TGC!)

So far I'm 4/4: Yale, UNC, Michigan, and MIT, but I'll likely be declining my UNC offer tomorrow so that someone else will get to visit.

Wow! You're on a roll! You're going to make people very happy when you eventually relinquish those spots.

I was concerned about this, too and in desperation I emailed the department last week. They said that "decisions will be made by March 15". So that was super non-committal, but helpful in that I think they are not done. I am not impugning anyone's honor here and I'm not going to guess at whether the admits that were posted were real or not. But there is stil hope.

But probably not for me. Not with the way things have been going.

Congrats to all the admits!

This is super helpful information!!  Thank you for sharing.  I know some of us were suspicious about the initial Michigan acceptances, particularly given the number and the timing.  But this, along with the good person's post (above) confirming admission, let's us know that (a) Michigan has started, and ( b ) Michigan hasn't finished.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Thanks for letting us know, and congrats! I wonder if this has been the admissions process in the past (a few early admits, then more later), but those admitted early simply didn't use GC? Or the admissions committee could just be doing things differently this year. Admissions processes are certainly mysterious.

I received an offer from Virginia today. Technically it is conditional based on approval from the graduate college, but I think this is just a procedural note. I hadn't been notified that I was on a waitlist before, so either the waitlist is private (which would be new because I was on the waitlist and knew it last year) or they are sending out a second round of admissions. 

Congrats to the MIT admits! Really brilliant! 

Any news on if Syracuse released all admits or just a first round?