Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I hope that everyone like ModalFictionalist who appear to get into everywhere aren't just accumulating those acceptances, but are turning some down to help out the rest of us. LOL.

From what I've read/heard/seen, applicants are generally pretty reasonable about declining an offer from a ranked-40th school when they have offers from three or four T20 schools, or declining an offer from a ranked-20th or even ranked-15th school when they have offers from T5 or T10 schools. 

Also wondering about this (since I applied and received nothing in the mail) and my online status is unchanged.

Probably wait-listed. I emailed the department and was told I was wait-listed. They are apparently releasing info about the wait-lists through email sometime tomorrow.

I hope that everyone like ModalFictionalist who appear to get into everywhere aren't just accumulating those acceptances, but are turning some down to help out the rest of us. LOL.

Ya, but why would they? I wouldn't turn anything down until I knew what all my options were. What we really need is a hard deadline on offers. We have a deadline to let schools know by: April 15. They need to have a deadline too, say February 15 or March 15. That would help with the waitlist movement. That way, people would have all the information they needed to make their decision earlier and everyone would benefit. As we know, some schools don't bother to release rejections until April even though they've made all their decisions and I think that they screw everyone, even themselves.

Ya, but why would they? I wouldn't turn anything down until I knew what all my options were. What we really need is a hard deadline on offers. We have a deadline to let schools know by: April 15. They need to have a deadline too, say February 15 or March 15. That would help with the waitlist movement. That way, people would have all the information they needed to make their decision earlier and everyone would benefit. As we know, some schools don't bother to release rejections until April even though they've made all their decisions and I think that they screw everyone, even themselves.

They actually do have to make the student's position known by March 15. That position might be a waitlist position. Students then have until April 15 to make a decision of their own. The problem, and it really isn't avoidable, is that everything ends up happening on April 15 because that's when students find out of they got into the school that is better than their current one, so they can't leave their current one until then, and then they do it which opens up a spot for the person who was waitlisted at the other school, which opens up another position, so it just becomes a huge train wreck right at April 15. I see no way around it, especially if they do what you suggest and withhold for a long time!

I believe students should turn down any offer that they don't consider a real possibility considering other offers. Getting those offers opened up for others makes April 15th less of a disaster.

Edited by TheVineyard

They actually do have to make the student's position known by March 15. That position might be a waitlist position. Students then have until April 15 to make a decision of their own. The problem, and it really isn't avoidable, is that everything ends up happening on April 15 because that's when students find out of they got into the school that is better than their current one, so they can't leave their current one until then, and then they do it which opens up a spot for the person who was waitlisted at the other school, which opens up another position, so it just becomes a huge train wreck right at April 15. I see no way around it, especially if they do what you suggest and withhold for a long time!

I believe students should turn down any offer that they don't consider a real possibility considering other offers. Getting those offers opened up for others makes April 15th less of a disaster.

Yeah, that's a disaster. I mean, if you get accepted to 6 schools, there's no point in holding any more than two acceptances at one time if you know you prefer one to the other, you should be declining whichever is least desirable as soon as possible and only have one or two open at once while you are making that choice. But if you have like 5 to 10 of them open and you're just sitting on them because it gives you a *___* Well, I'm sorry, but that's just a douche-bag right there when there's so many stressed out people on wait-lists and stuff.