Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I was accepted to GSU and I will most likely be declining (also, a friend was accepted and this friend will most likely be declining as well). I am not completely sure yet though. I will keep you posted. Where are you on the waitlist?

The email I received said that they weren't allowed to tell me, but I'll try to find out. I really appreciate it though.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Any rejections from GSU yet because I haven't heard a peep.

I was rejected.  Subject of the email said "Thank You".

On a similar note, has anyone been rejected from NIU?  I've only seen acceptances so far...

I was rejected.  Subject of the email said "Thank You".

On a similar note, has anyone been rejected from NIU?  I've only seen acceptances so far...

My status still says "complete". So I'm guessing if you haven't heard anything that you're either waitlisted or rejected.

I'm a little skeptical. Do schools usually have professors on leave make admissions calls?

Also, do people really call for wait-lists? It's like... I think if you're getting a phone call, they'd better be calling you to tell you you're in. Of course, I might be thinking a little wishfully here, because Harvard is probably the school I want into the most... fingers crossed.

Also, congrats to the GSU admits and wait-lists!

Also, do people really call for wait-lists? It's like... I think if you're getting a phone call, they'd better be calling you to tell you you're in. Of course, I might be thinking a little wishfully here, because Harvard is probably the school I want into the most... fingers crossed.

As I recall, someone had posted a Harvard rejection by phone.  Maybe calling people is just the Harvard way... ;)

As I recall, someone had posted a Harvard rejection by phone.  Maybe calling people is just the Harvard way... ;)

And don't forget the snail-mail acceptance that mysteriously disappeared hours after being reported. Clearly, all the professors are just allergic to efficiency and the emotional well-being of applicants. 

Edit: Be still, my beating heart! There's an acceptance reported as well. Can someone claim that and put me out of my misery?

Edited by Occam's Razorburn

And don't forget the snail-mail acceptance that mysteriously disappeared hours after being reported. Clearly, all the professors are just allergic to efficiency and the emotional well-being of applicants. 

Edit: Be still, my beating heart! There's an acceptance reported as well. Can someone claim that and put me out of my misery?

Possibly these calls are just Rusty Jones notifying the ancient acceptances/WLs? And more to come later from other POIs? (Can you tell from the charity of my interpretation that I really, really want to get into Harvard?)

Possibly these calls are just Rusty Jones notifying the ancient acceptances/WLs? And more to come later from other POIs? (Can you tell from the charity of my interpretation that I really, really want to get into Harvard?)

I feel your pain. And I will accept your charitable interpretation because of it. Good luck to you as well! 

Occam's Razorburn,

I don't suppose that you could let me know whether or not a) that Toronto acceptance was for PHD or for an MA, and b ) roughly what day of the week & time it came at.

Edited by burroughs

Occam's Razorburn,

I don't suppose that you could let me know whether or not a) that Toronto acceptance was for PHD or for an MA, and B) roughly what day of the week & time it came at.

Uh... let me see. It was the PhD, and they first called on 8 Feb, which was a Saturday. I missed the call, so they tried again on Monday the 10th. I think early afternoon both times? I hope that helps. Can I ask why you'd want to know?

There's a single acceptance for the MA program, which isn't that surprising given that something similar happened last year. So, the acceptance appeared early Monday morning (no later than maybe 8.00 AM in Toronto), which struck me as a little odd. I'm inclined to give this the benefit of the doubt and suppose that the acceptance is perfectly legitimate, but I was hoping that (for example) they'd have sent their PhD acceptances, or contacted the relevant applicants, around the same time. So, the fact that they got in touch with PhD accepts on a weekend (or, at least, one of them) adds a little credence to that report. There's a certain urgency to my knowing whether or not those accepts are out (and so whether or not I can suppose that I've been rejected) since I've also got a couple of nice job offers that I have to accept/reject at some point.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense of the request. Thanks for the response.

Edited by burroughs