Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Just got in to UPenn! The department is very high on my list so I'm thrilled! Still in a state of shock...

Congrats!!! I was pulling for you.

Just received a Cornell acceptance email from Ted Sider.

Congrats! My undergrad advisor went to school with Ted Sider and said he is hands down the smartest person he has ever met. 

Hey all,

I'm actually a little disappointed that I just found out about this forum, although my unawareness was probably better for my stress levels, perusing some of the forum topics makes me think I would have received a lot of good advice for my applications. Congrats to everybody's offers! Especially the Cornell ones, which is one school I didn't dare apply to because I like some of the faculty there so much that receiving a rejection from them would have been much to heart breaking. 

Anyways, I added some of my info in my signature (I think it's there at least). Good luck to all!

Hey all,

I'm actually a little disappointed that I just found out about this forum, although my unawareness was probably better for my stress levels, perusing some of the forum topics makes me think I would have received a lot of good advice for my applications. Congrats to everybody's offers! Especially the Cornell ones, which is one school I didn't dare apply to because I like some of the faculty there so much that receiving a rejection from them would have been much to heart breaking. 

Anyways, I added some of my info in my signature (I think it's there at least). Good luck to all!

Welcome, and congrats on the Toronto and Syracuse acceptances! And the UBC waitlist! those are all fantastic programs.

I'm starting to notice a trend: anytime I expect a lot of action on the admissions boards it tends to be painfully quiet, and whenever I assume that the admissions boards will be generally quiet, they explode with action. If, indeed, my expectations wield any causal influence over the relative amount of activity in the admissions world, it seems that I should do my best to always expect very little action, and likewise never expect a lot.

Can anyone claim the CUNY accept? I'd love more info on that. 

That was me. Accepted into the program, top of the waitlist for a fellowship (which I assume means funding). They say they had 230 applications for 10 slots. I literally just got this e-mail, so I think it's entirely possible they're still going out.

EDIT: I think "wait list" might have been a better way to post the result, since that's closer to what it feels like -- but I got excited and posted it before I carefully read the whole e-mail!

Edited by Hypatience

That was me. Accepted into the program, top of the waitlist for a fellowship (which I assume means funding). They say they had 230 applications for 10 slots. I literally just got this e-mail, so I think it's entirely possible they're still going out.

EDIT: I think "wait list" might have been a better way to post the result, since that's closer to what it feels like -- but I got excited and posted it before I carefully read the whole e-mail!

Congrats! You've got so many amazing programs to choose from!

Congrats on CUNY!! By the way, I did the same thing with my U of Arizona email: posted on TGC that I was top of the wait list before carefully reading the entire letter :) (The short wait list isn't ranked).

When I looked on the results page, I didn't see any Cornell waitlist postings. Any info? It wasn't a great fit for me, but I'd still like to know...

And good vibes to all! The next few days should be busy...although I'd really like my weekends back!!

I was wait listed at Cornell! I actually just logged on here hoping to find out a little bit more about that wait list and what my chances might be to get off it. 

Just got in to UPenn! The department is very high on my list so I'm thrilled! Still in a state of shock...

Congrats! For all Penn admits: let me know if you're visiting. I did my undergrad at a SLAC just outside of Philly, and can recommend some places to eat or stay (e.g. the best deli on the eastern seaboard is a few blocks west of Penn's campus).

Not sure whether to put this in the rejection or acceptance thread lol. I was rejected officially by U Chicago a few moments ago, but offered admission to the MAPH program. I expect I'll deny it, given that it's just a money pit and probably a waste of my time. I'm a bit unimpressed by the concept as a whole, but maybe someone else will want my place.

Not sure whether to put this in the rejection or acceptance thread lol. I was rejected officially by U Chicago a few moments ago, but offered admission to the MAPH program. I expect I'll deny it, given that it's just a money pit and probably a waste of my time. I'm a bit unimpressed by the concept as a whole, but maybe someone else will want my place.

As was I. Does anyone know anything about it? I take it it's not funded? And it's interdisciplinary, not just philosophy, so....ya.

As was I. Does anyone know anything about it? I take it it's not funded? And it's interdisciplinary, not just philosophy, so....ya.

It's not funded as far as I'm aware and it's not just philosophy. Beyond that, everything I've heard about it has been bad news (mostly that it's a university cash cow).

EDIT: The followup email pretty much confirms it. No mention of funding whatsoever. 9 months to get an MA? No thanks.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler