Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Received an email from South Carolina today stating that they could not offer any financial aid because of budgetary issues, but offered an unfunded spot. I immediately declined.

Received an email from South Carolina today stating that they could not offer any financial aid because of budgetary issues, but offered an unfunded spot. I immediately declined.

I still haven't heard anything. Wait, they could not offer you financial aid or they could not offer anyone financial aid?

Edited by kant_get_in

The email said they were working on a more constricted budget than usual and so the committee had to be "extra choosy" this year (odd phrasing). So it sounds like they have assistantships, but fewer than usual.

The email said they were working on a more constricted budget than usual and so the committee had to be "extra choosy" this year (odd phrasing). So it sounds like they have assistantships, but fewer than usual.

Did they really say "extra choosy"? Haha, that's something an adorable four year old would say. 

The email really, truly said that they had to be "extra choosy." I'm not funny enough to make that up on my own. It's officially an MA for me on this round... and I don't believe I'll be applying to South Carolina again.

It is not grad school, but I got accepted to a three-week summer program on Logic and Formal Epistemology at Carnegie Mellon University. I'm happy for that!

That's an excellent program (I hear). Congrats!

The email really, truly said that they had to be "extra choosy." I'm not funny enough to make that up on my own. It's officially an MA for me on this round... and I don't believe I'll be applying to South Carolina again.

Samesies. BTW, I feel that my use of "samesis" is merited after receiving that email.  

Samesies. BTW, I feel that my use of "samesis" is merited after receiving that email.  

I also got a very noncommittal email from the DGS at Davis telling me that I wasn't accepted or wait listed, but that they might come back to my application if enough people turn down their offers. 

lloyd-300x300.jpg
Edited by kant_get_in

Congratulations everyone who has received an offer already!

I got an unconditional offer for the M.Litt. in Philosophy at St. Andrews yesterday.

Congratulations! What are your areas of interest if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats--really happy for you!

So--I should expect to host you as a prospective two years from now? ;)

I think I'll probably apply to Riverside next time around... so maybe! I sort of regret not having applied this time. Not sure why I didn't. Maybe because I went to high school in Riverside... ?

I think I'll probably apply to Riverside next time around... so maybe! I sort of regret not having applied this time. Not sure why I didn't. Maybe because I went to high school in Riverside... ?

Despite looking at the program last year, I somehow mysteriously didn't apply (what was I thinking?!). I think there's some kind of witch-craft involved.

Congrats on LSU, btw! 

Yeah, I don't think I'd have applied to UConn (or Yale) straight out of college--I needed a little more time away from Connecticut at that piont in my life.

But I more just meant that, given your MA success and especially the time and thought you put in to choosing programs (to apply to as well as attend), I expect you to own Ph.D. admissions next time around. :-P

Yeah, I don't think I'd have applied to UConn (or Yale) straight out of college--I needed a little more time away from Connecticut at that piont in my life.

But I more just meant that, given your MA success and especially the time and thought you put in to choosing programs (to apply to as well as attend), I expect you to own Ph.D. admissions next time around. :-P

Thanks! I sure hope you're right. Taking a couple years to hone my philosophical craft and polish up a writing sample surely could not hurt!