Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

There were some eyebrows going up here yesterday about a UCSD acceptance posted on whogotin. I don't know about that post, but my girlfriend got a call from UCSD with an offer yesterday and a follow-up email today. So they are definitely sending out offers.

Edited by Monadology

There were some eyebrows going up here yesterday about a UCSD acceptance posted on whogotin. I don't know about that post, but my girlfriend got a call from UCSD with an offer yesterday and a follow-up email today. So they are definitely sending out offers.

Congrats to her! It must be both a blessing and a curse to have someone going through the paces with you. 

Wow. That's excellent news that you've both been accepted to PhD programs within a couple of hours from each other. 

Congrats to her! It must be both a blessing and a curse to have someone going through the paces with you. 

She sends her thanks. It could've been quite a curse, but we both got offers so early and now we have offers near each other so there's very little to worry about. At least until she gets an offer from Yale or something and I'm stuck in on the other side of the continent.

There are so many posts going up on gradcafe so: congratulations to all the people getting offers.

Edited by Monadology

I'm seeing UCR acceptances, and I am a bit bummed to not be among them. I was very interested in UCR, not in the same way as I am 'interested' in a top 20 school, but with an actual bit of intrigue about the school and department. 

They also responded to neither of my emails and were very slow in updating about records, so perhaps I shouldn't be shocked. Usually, it seems, prompt and full responses from a department is a good sign.

She sends her thanks. It could've been quite a curse, but we both got offers so early and now we have offers near each other so there's very little to worry about. At least until she gets an offer from Yale or something and I'm stuck in on the other side of the continent.

There are so many posts going up on gradcafe so: congratulations to all the people getting offers.

I'm incredibly jealous of your situation. I'm graduating from undergrad a year earlier than my fiancee, who'll apply to graduate programs in a field (or fields) other than philosophy next season, and I'm not applying to any programs near where we currently live, so all I'm going on in trying to find a place where we can both see ourselves ending up is whatever vague sense she has of where she might apply and where I can feasibly catch a plane home for holidays (which is to say - big cities in the east) while I'm away for that year. It's pretty miserable, so congrats and enjoy what slim amount of security you have over me!

I'm incredibly jealous of your situation. I'm graduating from undergrad a year earlier than my fiancee, who'll apply to graduate programs in a field (or fields) other than philosophy next season, and I'm not applying to any programs near where we currently live, so all I'm going on in trying to find a place where we can both see ourselves ending up is whatever vague sense she has of where she might apply and where I can feasibly catch a plane home for holidays (which is to say - big cities in the east) while I'm away for that year. It's pretty miserable, so congrats and enjoy what slim amount of security you have over me!

I'm sorry to hear things are so tricky with your situation! I hope things work out for both of you.  ^_^

They also responded to neither of my emails and were very slow in updating about records, so perhaps I shouldn't be shocked. Usually, it seems, prompt and full responses from a department is a good sign.

Sorry to hear you haven't heard from them yet. I wouldn't read too much into that, though. When I saw (and panicked) that my transcripts hadn't arrived yet I didn't get much communication and it took them a while to update my records as well. I suspect they were just very busy.

Also, to anyone else who got an offer from UC R: did you get an email from the philosophy department or just the graduate school? So far I've only received an email from the graduate school.  

So far there's been action on 4 of my schools (Loyola, Baylor, Kentucky, South Carolina) and I've yet to hear anything. I am going mildly insane. 

It won't matter if she gets into Yale when you get into Harvard. Happy to hear about this buddy :)

My interests are fairly broad, but most specifically I'm interested in phil religion and phil science as competing epistemological models. I also have interests in reformed epistemology (e.g. Plantinga and Alston) and philosophical theology (e.g. Swinburne). But mostly I'm interested in topics where epistemological models in religion and science address the same questions and making a case for a kind of "mutual support" theory. What about yourself?

Dgswaim, I also have reformed epistemology interests and am hopeful for philosophical theology, but my main interest right now is in Realism/Non-Realism distinction within social scientific treatment of religion, so fairly epistemological as well. Notre Dame is the place to go for all of this for sure.

Dgswaim, I also have reformed epistemology interests and am hopeful for philosophical theology, but my main interest right now is in Realism/Non-Realism distinction within social scientific treatment of religion, so fairly epistemological as well. Notre Dame is the place to go for all of this for sure.

Very cool. My writing sample was on the relationship between the realism/anti-realism debate and philosophical naturalism. Sounds like we share quite a bit in common.

I am so fucking pissed. I got a packet in the mail today from Loyola and everyone thought it was an acceptance. Turns out they had a "glitch in their system" and sent me an information packet.

That sucks. Thanks for posting this. I'll know now to view packages from Loyola with a healthy skepticism. Sorry this happened.

That sucks. Thanks for posting this. I'll know now to view packages from Loyola with a healthy skepticism. Sorry this happened.

It's alright. It wouldn't hurt so bad if I thought that Loyola wasn't sending out acceptances, but they are apparently (congrats by that way!) which makes this slightly more painful.