Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Were you the one who just posted the UVA result...or can I summon these things lol?!

No that was me. I didn't really have a good reason for not posting aside from a nagging intuition, and I think there seem to be good reasons for posting, so there it is.

No that was me. I didn't really have a good reason for not posting aside from a nagging intuition, and I think there seem to be good reasons for posting, so there it is.

Congrats, and thanks for posting! 

And once again we have to get through these silly "evening hours" until we hear more news... At least tomorrow's Friday!

In the meantime, this has been entertaining me: http://philosophershaming.tumblr.com/

I definitely identify with this one: http://philosophershaming.tumblr.com/image/41947041544

Edited by philosophe

All-in-all it seems like it's been a pretty slow week on the admissions front. Anyone wanna put money down on a big friday? Maybe we can establish an over-under...

Nah. My bet is next week is going to be pretty big. I doubt we'll see a lot of action tomorrow. 

I want to believe that Emory will release its acceptances tomorrow (based on past years' dates)!!

Edited by Johannes14

I took myself off the list (from the e-mail I got, it was very likely I would have gotten funding) at Missouri. Hopefully that helps someone! 

Good choice.  Congrats.

All-in-all it seems like it's been a pretty slow week on the admissions front. Anyone wanna put money down on a big friday? Maybe we can establish an over-under...

It's been a slow week.  I still think we're going to see at least two tomorrow.

Note that it turns out -- as I suspected -- that no top-five released on February 13.  I don't remember the origin of that rumor.

However, I stand by my prediction -- four to five top-50 notifications between Wednesday and Saturday.  So that would mean two or more tomorrow through Saturday.

I think the LEAST we'll see tomorrow is two schools.  I think we could see up to seven in one weekend.  I've gotta stand by my predictions.  Carnegie-Mellon, Penn, Pitt, Stanford, Georgetown, Brown, Illinois-UC -- none of these would surprise me tomorrow.

Did the weather affect anything?  Ehhh MAYBE.  Pennsylvania got hit pretty hard today.  U Penn was closed.  I don't know when the admissions committee met.  Perhaps the meeting was supposed to be today and was cancelled on account of weather.  Perhaps the meeting is tomorrow morning.  Even now it's uncertain whether U Penn will open tomorrow.

Georgetown also was hit pretty hard today.  Same situation as U Penn.

So after some thought, I'd say that Carnegie-Mellon and Pitt are the two most likely schools to release decisions tomorrow.

I think the LEAST we'll see tomorrow is two schools.  I think we could see up to seven in one weekend.  I've gotta stand by my predictions.  Carnegie-Mellon, Penn, Pitt, Stanford, Georgetown, Brown, Illinois-UC -- none of these would surprise me tomorrow.

Did the weather affect anything?  Ehhh MAYBE.  Pennsylvania got hit pretty hard today.  U Penn was closed.  I don't know when the admissions committee met.  Perhaps the meeting was supposed to be today and was cancelled on account of weather.  Perhaps the meeting is tomorrow morning.  Even now it's uncertain whether U Penn will open tomorrow.

Georgetown also was hit pretty hard today.  Same situation as U Penn.

So after some thought, I'd say that Carnegie-Mellon and Pitt are the two most likely schools to release decisions tomorrow.

Come on Illinois Urbana-Champaign...

I took a break for a five days from this place and boy was it an excellent idea. Despite receiving one of the Notre Dame rejections today, I feel a bit refreshed, even if still quite pessimistic about my overall chances. FWIW, I was one who questioned early on why any one would think that the 'results' posters would be bluffing. That was until I spoke with an old friend who is currently enrolled in a program that at least a few on here have claimed acceptance to, who told me that he was fairly certain the committee had not even met yet. He may have gotten his facts wrong, but this did give me some cause to rethink becoming quickly negative after seeing results going up on here. That being said, I'm not surprised if Yale has sent out acceptances. I'm also in the boat of those who'd like to hear from Georgetown tomorrow (I'd take a wait-list offer from Indiana U as well if I could get one!). I am weirdly much calmer and feeling more realistic about my chances after getting away for a few days, already brain-storming ways to improve my application for next time around. I am not going to be one of those who tries and tries and tries at this. If I get shut out this year, I'll try once more, maybe next season, maybe the season after. I know what I am capable of (I did land a 4.0 MA GPA, after all, and have published in an actual journal, with real life philosophers), my instructors at my MA institution do as well. Anyways, if you're bummed about all this jazz, I really do recommend getting the hell off this site for at least a couple days, reading some philosophy without all the pressure. It can be a nice way of reassuring yourself of your love for the subject, and that you aren't going to let rejections make you think you're some how not as good as the rest, not to mention how obsessively checking the results page really dilutes the excitement that may accompany an actual acceptance, one you find out about spontaneously and not via a grad-cafe surrogate.

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction